Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at 99-01 S10's... Any advice?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bowtiepower00, Nov 14, 2003.

1. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Looking at 99-01 S10\'s... Any advice?

I'm looking at 99-01 S10's. They are extracab 4x4's with the 4.3, both Autos and Sticks. Most are ZR2's. Mileage ranges from 30K to 65K. Is there anything I should look out for on these rigs, or trouble areas to be aware of? Also, what kind of mileage do these trucks get? I don't really care about city mileage, but I put quite a few highway miles on and would like to stay above 20MPG at 75MPH if I can. Thanks...

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Re: Looking at 99-01 S10\'s... Any advice?

I just got a 03 with the 5spd and 4.3. I like it a lot. I usually get about 15 mpg around town, about 16-17 half hwy half city. I havent gone on a trip long enough to find out my highway mileage. They rate it at 14 city, 18 hwy on the window sticker. It has 3.42 gears and 235/75r15 tires.

I would think that the Zr2 would get less mpg since it sits higher and has 31s standard.

Beware if the torsion bars have been cranked. I've heard that it tends to wear out suspension parts quicker as well as CV boots.

The 4.3 is a good engine and has plenty of power for an S10. I just got through towing my Scout 320 mi. round trip this weekend. It takes a while to accelerate, but it did fairly well. Wouldnt recommend doing it all the time though.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Looking at 99-01 S10\'s... Any advice?

we have a 99 4 door s-blazer 4.3 auto 2wd, 65k miles.
    runs great, no trans problems, has a slight whine from the limited slip rear because of 20 minutes worth of donuts getting the clutches a little too hot, check out the front suspension mainly because ive heard s-series trucks have had problems with ball joints, we have had the knuckles/spindles replaced twice now but the first time was because i sunk it and the 2nd time who knows..