Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking At A 1989 Full Size Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1989Jimmy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 1989Jimmy

1989Jimmy Newbie

Hey y'all, i'm new to the board here. My name's Tyler, i'm 17 years old and a senior in High School. I've never owned a truck/suv before. I've always been a Mustang guy and I thought i'd try 4-Wheeling out for a little while. Anyway, i'm looking at a buying a Full Size 1989 GMC Jimmy. It has a 350 Engine, Auto. Transmission. A girl that I know really well owns it. It's been sitting for a year or 2. She wants $600 for it. It's pretty nice, she just really needs money. She said that i'd need a tune-up though (plugs, wires, rotor/cap, oil change) and then she said it should run great! Would this be a good daily driver for me? I'm not worried about gas mileage. How do they do out on the trails/in the mud? I'd also like to play in the mud/do some hill-climbing in it every once in awhile. Thanks for the help guys!

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

600 would be a steal for a well running blazer. Blazers are the best off road vehicle known to mankind as well... And you can have it for 600 go for it. Blazers are easy to work on too

3. 1989Jimmy

1989Jimmy Newbie

haha, the Jeep guys say that a Cherokee is the best off road vehicle known to man.

4. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Well the blazer/ Jimmy k5 Isn't that good on the trail, mud , snow or hills, thats why we all drive them.:haha: No really 6 bills for a 89 is a good deal. You will never go back to a f*rd.

5. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

try www.carolinak5.com a few local k5's for sale on the site if this one your looking at doesnt work out.Sounds like a killer deal though!

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it was close, I'd buy it. Sounds like a great deal if it runs and is not eaten up with rust.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have owned a 89 Blazer for many years. I really like it. It goes very well in the hills, mud, snow, rocks,whatever. They are easy to work on. When running good it gets good fuel milage. The fuel injection is simple. 89s had all the good upgrades over earlier models ,241 transfer case, stronger 700r4 autotrans. 30 spline axles.
    If you buy it and hang around here long you will want to do som mods to it. There are things that dont cost a whole lot of $$$ that will make it better off road.
    If you need help with probems or modifications post up someone will help out.
    89K5 and 5.0 Mustangs even use the same spark plug. I know it for a fact because when I dont drive my Blazer I am in my 87 5.0:D

8. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

well they have that j**p thing I guess we wouldn't understand.:haha: Being under powered!:D

9. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

Go for it. 600 is a steal. You could sell the parts for that much. My 88 is a great truck. Once you get into these trucks you will be addicted.

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I got their JEEP thing and now it burns when I pee!

If it is not a rust bucket jump on it. Heck if you change your mind you can always sell it on eBay.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Hold your horses and think for a minute. She said that its been sitting for a year or two. Can't remember a years difference? She probably means 4 or 5. Any vehicle that sits for that long will most likely need major repairs. I have seen cylinders rust up in eleven months. Not to mention the brakes are all probably frozen.
    Now 600.00 is a good deal, even for parts, just don't assume that you will buy a 600 dollar truck and throw some plugs at it and have a daily driver. It could happen, but don't count on it.

12. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

not unheard of in n.c. ,I have bought cars that have sat longer than that and drove them away with a new battery and some starting fluid.Had to be some reason they parked it.I know in the upstate they are now doing emissions testing so that may have something to do with it ,maybe it wouldnt pass .We dont have emissions down here yet but my 81 will be exempt anyways.

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Missed this post somehow............take a good battery and a 5 gallon can of gas with ya and some starting fluid, the gas in the tank has gone bad in that amount of time, but if ya pour in some fresh, and squirt a little starting fluid in the throttle body, it should fire up.

I live in Hickory Patch as well! :D

Ya might have seen my junk running around town.
    [​IMG]

14. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

The 89 k5s are great, TBI, np241, etc. I paid 850 for mine. It was a rust bucket though, but it runs great. You can alwyas throw another body on if its a rust bucket. Go for it!

15. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Dead steal. I paid 1500 for my '91; it had also been sitting for 2 years in front of my neighbors across the street. He was a recent law school graduate and chose to drive his new chevy over the Jimmy that had carried him from high school through college and law school! I did what others have said, slapped in a new battery and took it to the gas station. It's been running for over a year since and though it does need work here and there, I've spent ~500 on it in 1 year.

Not to mention, it's a fun truck to drive (especially with the top off)!!!