Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at a 88

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Mar 21, 2000.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Need advice again! I have found a 88 K-5 Silverado Blazer, has the stock 350 with a 122,300 miles, everything is orginal except the guy put in a new compressor, condensor, and evaporator, it is in really good shape. Paint is really good and the only sign of rust on it is on the very bottom of the panel next to the door, i guess the very bottom left of the real quarter panel, but it is about the size of a dime. It has running boards on it but they would come of if i bought it. Anyone taken there running boards off and found rust? Any advice at all? Thanks-Doug

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

My 86 had these diamond shape aluminum ones on it...took them off and I saw daylight. Rust all over the place.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If you can (and the guy don't kill ya) peal up some carpet around the doors and out back by the tailgate. Get underneath the thing with a flashlight and check ALL the nooks and crannies you can find. Rust is about the only thing that is bad in these rigs. When I bought my 89 I about drove the guy crazy selling it. I had it up on jackstands for about an hour and a half checking out steering, u-joints, case, ... If you really like them and the price is right dive square into the big middle of it. Don't worry about the miliage, the guy will tell you that they are ALL highway miles and the thing has been babied. Everybody says that. Drive the thing around and find some loose stuff to put it into 4wd, check and make sure everything turns and nothing is grinding. If it's got the Auto locking hubs, make sure that they unlock before you leave then go replace them. <font color=red>THOSE THINGS CAN BE DANGEROUS IF THE TRUCK HAS ALOT OF MILES!!!</font color=red>

Kyle
    89K5

4. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

I got a 88, and when i bought it the first thing I did was toss those runnin boards and Kabloom! Rust for days. What happens is snow, rain, and anything with moisture sits right on them boards rustin the body. What i did was bought two fenders from JC Whitney ($69.00each) and two rocker panels, that'll make the whole front end brand new, just have to work on from the door back (a lil' bit of sheetmetal and bondo required).

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]