Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking at a Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jacktar, Mar 6, 2000.

1. jacktar

jacktar Newbie

Hi,

I am in the market to replace my pickup and am trying to find some info on the K5 diesel blazer.

Does anyone have any spec's on MPG and towing capacity with an automatic? (I am looking at an '84 right now, but any year info would be helpful)

also how feasable is it to convert a 76 and later to the full top pre-75 style? Or would converting the earlier model to diesel be more appropriate?

Thanks,

Jacktar
    Tampa, FL

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

talk to 6.2blazer or any others we got on here. i know there are a few.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think it would mainly depend on whether you are more comfortable with body work or mechanical work. The advantage of converting a newer diesel K5 to full convertible is that you can start with a newer vehicle and they are probably more plentiful (and possibly actually cheaper) as clean '73-'75's are hard to find and usually bring a good price. I'm pretty sure that the 6.2 and gas V-8s share the same engine mounts and bellhousing's so they should swap back and forth pretty easy.

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 83 Blazer with 6.2 in it . I have tried to pull trailers it's great if it's flat terrain . If you need speed on a hill forget it . It will pull but it's a slow go . I get about 20 mpg with mine .If you get into diesels try for one newer than a 83 . It's not the engines but the transmissions . The newer ones are beefier than 83s and have more upgrades .Unless you're mechanically inclined I would'nt take on a conversion unless you have a complete donor vehicle . There is a lot of things that would need replaced or upgraded to handle the diesel.I know of one person who had a 87 Suburban she had a standard 3speed auto and she told me it would pull hills without any problems.This would be something I would go with instead a 700r4.Hope this helps.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have an 83 GMC 6.2 half ton as well as my Blazer. She's a good little truck, and you can't beat the gas mileage, but like the other guys said, don't expect to break any records if you're towing with her. I use mine to tow a 21' trailer, and because I live in the Canadian Rockies, I'm used to sweating while pulling up a long hill and looking in the mirrors at the line of angry drivers behind me. On the flats she'll keep up with everyone else. If you get one with the 700r4 make sure you install the biggest rad cooler you can find. MAKE SURE YOU TOW IN DRIVE, NOT OVERDRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind that you'll need to be really strict with your maintanence......Oil changes every 2500 miles(or less) and fuel/air filters changed on a regular basis. There seems to be a problem with the injector pumps, but I think that stems from the introduction of low-sulphur diesel fuel. I always add a shot of diesel lubricant to my tanks when I fill them, and have never had a problem. If you take good care of a 6.2, you can expect to easily get 300,000 miles out of it.

6. jacktar

jacktar Newbie

Thanks for the info...20mpg is awesome, especially as the economy turns. Is your 6.2 stock? or with a banks turbo? I am looking at towing a 6000lb boat in and out at the ramp, plus some flat tralering across state; It's only Florida :-). I had my intentions on a 3/4 ton pickemup but saw an ad for a diesel blazer and realized it would be the ultmate solution if'n it could handle the load. Don't really expect much off road duty, but the frequent wet ramp, and or soggy orange grove will be much easier and more frequent with a reliable 4x4. (of course I have also never owned one so I might get a little ....mmmmm. . obsessed *laugh*

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine is stock but I've been wanting to buy a Banks .I have 174,000 mile on it and have had the injector pump rebuilt