Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking at a new tow vehicle need input

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by bad_bo_ti, May 30, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

its a 83 3/4 ton with a 6.2 w/banks turbo 4sp sitting on 35s rear locker and front locker for 4600, would this be a good rig, how would locker work when i was towing something, i would appreciate pros and cons to this truck, this would be my first diesel!! i am not going to be doing a lot of towing but i am wanting a heavier duty truck then my 93 half ton. thanks, chris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Locker will be find when towing, it's the 35" tires and their associated lift method that may be questionable and I'd check it out.

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea thats whats kind of worrying me i have been reseaching the 6.2 and dont know if i will be happy with one.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I had a 6.2 in my tow rig instead of a 350.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm in the market for a diesel rig, so i've been asking around about who is happy with their diesels and who is not. so far, the only people i've found who down the 6.2 are people who have never owned one personally.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Love my 6.2. banks turbo would be even betta. Lockers are fine, most towing is done in a straight line. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You should be taking turns slow anyways, so no biggie. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well i just saw another post about a 6.5 and 454 what about a 6.2 and a 454. i got a dd geo storm, but i would still like decent fuel mileage from a tow rig, i wont do a lot of towing, but i atleast want to know that i can. what kind of power do you all think the 6.2 and turbo is putting out? thanks, chris

8. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I know three friends who have had lockers in their tow rigs, and have removed them. They did not like the way they handled. I asked around when I was considering one for my crew. Save the lockers for the trail rig. You could pull the locker from the rear and sell it, or use it in something else, and leave the front in for when you may need it.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, the G80 (gov lock) in 14FF or 11.5 AM are absolutely fantastic in a tow rig. No bad behavior for normal driving, but get in a bad spot, and you have a locker. The heavy axles don't have the problems associated with the lighter gov-locks. Not good for a trail vehicle (strength and unpredictable), and not as strong as a Detroit, but it works quite well and you rarely hear of a failure...

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

6.2 turbo puts about 170-180HP, and about 400 ft lbs of torque. Stock 6.2 is about 100 ft lbs less. Depending on the setup, and driving habits, about 20-24mpg is possible unloaded. (heavy emphasis on the habits). I squeaked by with 22-23mpg doing no more than about 60mph for 3000 miles. Keep it in the happy zone (1800-2100). Turbo will give you better efficiency in higher altitudes.
    Having an open trailer and car over 300 miles still netted me about 19mpg. combined trailer/car weight of about 5000lbs.
    Had a enclosed u-haul over 300 miles, 6x12 tandem axle, about (5 ft clearance inside). Got 16mpg. Flat elevation though.

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, i think my biggest problem with one will be adjusting to it after having only gassers. i am use to throttle response and good pick up, would the manual tranny help me out with that, also what are problem signs i should look for if i go look at this one, thanks, chris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if its a 4 sp manual, I dont think you would notice too much performance differences. I find the power of the 6.2 NA with a J code intake to be only a hair slower than my SBC with bolt ons. With the turbo, I'd say your in good hands.

other than that, just try cold starting the engine. See how difficult it is. Hard start ups is a sign of possible future problems, none that isnt fixable, but just a heads up. Glow plug system, lift pump, injectors, etc. My truck has started up the first time just about everytime since I got it.

Check for leaky hydroboost system- I had a leak comming out right behind the MC- I changed it, and now its comming out of the side unit. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. in general, an area to look out for, about a 200 dollar part.

Check harmonic balancer, make sure its good. Otherwise, change it before it gets bad. Sources say its a weak spot.

Starter brace, dunno what it looks like, but I hear its also good too.