Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at a slide in camper for my crew cab, need suggestions

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by K5er4Life, Mar 5, 2007.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at these things and it looks like something that would be alot of fun and easy to use. The only issue is I need somewhere to put my dirt bike, will it fit inside? I know they make hitch mounted bike racks but I dont like the idea of my bike hangin off the back of the truck. What should I expect to pay for a decent camper with heater, inside shower, a/c (not terribly important to me), Stove, a/c, d/c power, etc??? I noticed many of these campers tend to have alot of rot due to leaking seals and siding. Is this characteristic of many campers? Any thing in particular I should look for. How long does the plumbing usually last? I know these are alot of questions but I know someone out there has to use one for camping, or parking one on a lot for a hunting lodge, or using it for a roadside nap. You know the usual.

I never thought about one of these for myself but then I realized I could probably get it pretty cheap, they hook up fast, and Ill have a comfy place to sleep and shower in the desert. :D It will only be me and the girl.

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yo Bro, I'm looking at doing exactly the same. Here's what I've narrowed it down to so far;
    http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/
    I've been camping/wheeling out of the Burb, but I'm wanting greater comfort and willing to sacrifice some rock crawling.:haha:
    I don't have the truck yet so I can select from the variables; long bed vs. short, full outfit vs. stripper (slide-in). Probably stripper as I already have the stuff to eat/sleep/crap & wash.
    As far as the truck, I'm planning on standard cab, long bed, 3/4 ton seeing as how Four Wheel Pop-up is so light. I won't be towing so I'm even considering going with the 6.0 gas and 4L80E.
    Have you considered a Burb?

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have been looking at some type of camping shelter as well lately. Looked at some of the larger pop-up type campers with damn near everything in them, but the cost of most of them just seems alittle much. For a couple of grand more it seems i could have me a nice late 80's or early 90's 5th wheel travel trailer i nthe 29-32ft range, tow it with the dually, and drag another trailer behind that for "other stuff"

Check out Craigslist in your area for ideas on what your looking for, and you also get a pretty good idea as to what certain types are going for new/er and used.

Attempting to get my dually running good, and get some type of trail rig done up, aquire a travel trailer, and a flatbed trailer or something to drag the burb behind that, before Moab this year (October):D :crazy:

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, not the same level of hobby/interest as K5ers or the "diesel/tow anything" crowd.
    The way I look at it though, maybe we are at the beginning of a popular pastime. With all the new tech and products coming out of 4X4, we have the capability to range farther out than grandpa did.:wink1:
    So where my head is at right now is kind of a modern "Chalet". Yeah, that's it.
    I'll be retiring in the next few years, so this dream rig has to fit that pic.:D
    So far, standard cab, long bed, 2500HD 4X4, 6.0L. Haven't decided on the new or the old Silverado. That with PowerTrax both ends, and a lift, should be real comfortable going anywhere. 8' Pop-up camper "shell model".
    I'll make my own shower set-up. Got heat, cooler, porta-pot, bed, CB, tools etc.