Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at a used motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

have a friend that has a neighbor that is selling a used 350 motor that is semi built. (not sure what has been done) not worring about getting screwed just not sure what to look for (i know very little about engines in general). it has 6,000 miles on it for 600 bux. not sure why he is getting rid of it either. i guess if you guys have any tips for me to look out for or any questions to ask him thanks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

its always best if he can pull a head so you can see clyinder condition, find out what the bore is if it is 30 or 40 over thats good I would stay away from 60 over. Have him pull the oil pan check the play in the rods by grabbing the rod cap and move it back and forth lookin for excessive play, I would even pull a rod cap and a main and see if the crank was turned and the condition of the bearings ask for any reciepts he may have machine work etc....hope this helps

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd ask the seller what alls been done to it. You say slightly built ??? How ??? For what app. If it's a hot rod motor, what's the power band ??? Where (at what rpm) does it build power ??? For wheeling you want more low end torque then upper end HP. What do you currently have for a motor ??? Will he also install it for you ??? Ask alot of questions like that befor you decide on anything.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Main question I would ask.

Why are you selling it?

5. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

z3pr: if this was a hot rod motor is 6,000 miles to much for a motor likke this? i mean if it was a race motor it was probally ran really hard. and does 600 sound like a good deal?