Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at atv's - GOT ONE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freeflow, Oct 11, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about getting an atv for fun and work we have alot of small trails on and near our property that are to small for a truck and we kinda need something that can tow/haul/plow stuff.

I would like to get a polaris sportsman 700/800 but they are alot of coin and im not sure if i want to go with a new one or not.

A local dealer has a 2004 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 for $4000 i might go look at it today.

What atv's do you all have- and recomend???

Thanks brad

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'm a Honda fan.... Have had a few and always have good luck with them... Did alot of riding and racing in the early 90's when there was a big difference between a Honda and another brand. No-a-days they all seem to be built pretty well.
    Had a couple friends with Polaris's and never heard any complaints. My friends father has a Suzuki Eigre 400 and it is very nice... Can Am bought out Bombardier and they have some nice 4x4s out.. But they are very pricey!

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have two Polaris's. Parts are outrageous in my opinion. Quality is really good though.

Not sure what I would buy if I was in the market, most likely another Polaris.

4. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I own a 2004 yamaha grizzly and have beaten the hell out of it. You would be surprised how I have beaten this thing. Everything from high speeds for a while to jumping 4 feet in the air. My friends have dirt bikes and I go everywhere they go. Even on black diamond trails meant only for bikes. I have heard a lot of bad things about the axles and overheating but have never experienced a problem myself. I have over 800 miles on this thing and love it. My cousin got a 750 Brute Force and he loves his.

I would continue to ask around but what it comes down to is personal choice.

5. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

i also have a polaris and love it...........

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Polaris...
    2002 700 Sportsman
    2004 Scrambler 500HO
    1999 400 2stroke Xplorer.

Use them every day on the ranch during the summer months, the 700 Sportsman is a tank. It will pull, push, plow through, and climb over anything. It's one hunk of an ATV.

The Scrambler is one of the best sport quads on the market. Sport chassis, but with 4x4, an automatic, and can install racks on it.

Don't even get me started on Polaris mountain sleds.... I LIVE on my 800cc 2 stroke Escape during the winter months.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd do a Honda. Was my bud's plower for years and saw many trails in the summer. Dead ass reliable.

The Polaris 500 has MORE than enough power for your tastes. The larger ones really are wasted coin.

8. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I also have Polaris. A 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI and a 2004 Sportsman 500H.O. The 04 was mine and now is the wife's. She use to have a 2004 Scrambler but wanted my old quad for the racks and more comfortable ride. I just got the '06 a month ago and just love it, lots of storage and a great trail quad. The EFI is great, no choke and no rejetting when we go up in the mountains or riding in Utah. Around here, (Western Oregon) the Sportsman do quite well we have mucky, rutted, rocky trails and our Polaris's have held up with no problems.

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Freeflow will you be hunting? now out of everyone that has posted or who is going to post do you use them for hunting also or just play.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Friend of mine has a pair of Sportsman 500's, somewhere around 2003 or 4 vintage. I got to ride the piss out of em, great rigs. I damn near bought one myself a couple of years ago, didn't find much negative about em on the net. I would think lightly used would be as good as new, and much cheaper. Don't know much about any other brands.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No, not really.

The twin cylinder engines are heavier, making the Sportsmans better pullers and pushers, not to mention a lot more torque. I've weighted down my 700 Sportsman with truck batteries before to pull a 10ft ring roller to smooth out a road, the 500 motor wouldn't have had enough power without getting worked to death.

Another thing is tracks, a lot of guys are running 4 tracks on the big sportsmans and spraying with them. I've pondered this a few times. Add a 25g tank that is full, a spray boom, 4 big heavy tracks, and soft ground. Then thats where the torque of the twins helps.

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 and I love it! Its a little too small for what you are looking at but take off the muffler the thing sound like a harley and it doubles the power output. I usually run it with the muffler because the neighbor like to complain and its "technically" illegal to remove the emissions devises on ATVs. So I modified it and so it flows a TON better and has a good amount more power. But really you'd be surprised from the power my little 250 has.

Ok so now some pictures:

Car Pictures 011.jpg

Car Pictures 012.jpg

Car Pictures 011.jpg

Car Pictures 012.jpg

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a 96 Honda Foreman, and it is constantly amazing me how tough that thing is. I can't say I haven't had any problems, as I've essentially overhauled the engine already, but its also been swamped so it had no oil, just muddy water in it a few times, and even though it hammers away while it runs, it keeps tickin, and keeps up with all the newer, bigger Rubicon 500s I ride with all the time.

I plan to overhaul the bottom end of the engine (did the top end this spring), and put a new ignition system, and hang onto it as a quad to lend out to different kids that we take camping with us in the spring, and look into a new 500 Foreman for next summer :)

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ive got a 89 bayou 300 bored 60 over I love it to death. The thing is decently fast(keeps up with a 400 ex till about 55mph) and has put up with the punishment I have given it. Has a locking diff too :) Only beef I have had with it is a little locking washer in the clutch that kept breaking(4.50 part but about 3 hrs to put in) Also I ditched the stock exhaust and put a cobra racing exhaust on man does it sound freaking sweet!!!

My 98 suzuki king quad is pretty cool, but it doesn't have the grunt the bayou has. But it has a f'n sweet crawl ratio, (high, low, ultra low) and has lockers front and rear :) I have not had one single problem with the zuk

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pretty nice!

This thread insipred me to go out and ride Bayou today. My driveway is covered in leaves so it makes for some good donuts and may favorite would be the brake stands. I just hold the front brake real hard and and gas it in 2nd and shift ot 3rd and then 4th, 5th boggs too much to keep the burn going. But I'm getting new tires soon so I don't care about the wear.

16. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

How many miles do you all have on your atv's??? how many miles are alot for a atv? 1,000-2,000?? There is a 2002 polaris 700 for like $3500 but it has like 2,200 miles and that sounds like alot to me. But i dont wanna spend 7-8 grand on a brand new atv.

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I may ride today as well.

18. 2BLAZERS

Mileage does matter, but its the maintenance that is really important. If the oil and fluids have been changed often it might be a great rig. If someone just rids a quad out on dirt roads or forest service roads I would take those kind of miles compared to the farmer who starts the quad up with a trailer attached and drives it 100 feet and shuts it down right away. For me a good day of riding could be 80-100 miles. So if the guy went riding 300 times in the past five years that's not to bad. In our Cycle Trader there are always lot's of 1 or 2 year old quads with very few miles on because they bought one and loose interest, loose job, etc.. or try to find the ''girlfriends or wife'' bike. If the quad run's great it sounds like a reasonable deal, I would offer $2,700 and see what happens.

19. 2BLAZERS

I went riding today:) With the Cascade Quaders Club ride up above Detroit Lake, Western Oregon.

20. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

one word

POLARIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my entire family rides polaris, we're up to; 2 sportsman 800s, 6 sp 700s, one sp 600, 4 sp 500s, 2 predators, one phoenix, a ranger and 2 sp 90s... the oldest is a 2002. newest 2006. i ride a predator, and im getting an efi 700 next year.