Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at buying a 6.2L K5, what to look for?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 12, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

So what do I need to look for to see if it's a keeper or a leaver?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Drove a lot of 6.2L's in Marine Corps HMMWV's, but have never done any maintenance on them.

Also, I've heard that if you put on a non-emissions intake manifold it's good for like 10hp. This legit? Any other cheap upgrades?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

First thing I'd check, is to see if it will start easily when cold. When you look at it, before you start it, pop the hood and feel the radiator hoses to see if it's been running recently. If so, it's not the end of the world, but most diesels will start just fine when warmed up, but you can tell a lot from a cold engine. It should fire up without a whole lot of cranking after the glow plugs have cycled.

Also, before you fire it up, check to see if the radiator is topped off. If so, start it up with the radiator cap off (engine cold only!). If it starts bubbling up immediatley, then the engine has blown head gaskets or worse (exhaust getting into coolant).

If all checks well so far, then go for a drive. The engine should not sputter or stall or miss or any of that stuff. It should have no hesitiation or anything. Diesels don't act like gassers.........when they're cold, they should run strong. If it doesn't want to run when it's cold, then there's something wrong, possibly with the injection pump.

Smoke: white to blueish smoke on startup is normal, in fact lots of smoke on startup is normal.....it's just diesel fuel not being burned right since it's cold. That smoke should go away quickly once the engine's up to operating temp. It ought to go away after a few seconds, really. Black smoke on acceleration or just revving in the driveway is normal. Dark blue smoke is burning oil, and there shouldn't be any. White smoke on a warm engine is usually a sign of coolant being burned.

I doubt a J code (non-emission engine....light duty engines are VIN code C motors, usually found in half-tons......heavy duty are VIN code J motors, usually found in 3/4 and 1 tons) intake will gain 10 hp. It ought to gain a little power. In fact, I'm getting ready to find out how much real world difference a J code intake by itself will make. I've got a C code intake with the EGR removed on my '81, and I'm going to replace it with a single plenum J code intake. I've got a G-tech meter that I'm going to use to get some before and after results with. This should help me determine how much difference just the intake can make. I'll do some before and after towing tests up my local "big hill" to really work it hard and see if I can tell a big difference or not.

I'm sure me or someone else will think of something else that you need to check, but this a good starting place, I think.

Later!

Casey

3. AJMBLAZER

Well, whatever I buy will have fairly recently been driven from the South West 2200 miles or so up to Michigan, so it should be a runner. The guy who's getting me a truck doesn't want to buy a POS and have it die on him half way back up here, or have a bunch of stuff to fix before he sells it./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep an eye on them.

I won't bother with the intake unless I come across a J code one in a junkyard or something. Michigan is full of worn out older trucks though, so I might be able to get one around here. What's going price on a J code intake?

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Most J code intakes I've come across for sale are in the $50 up to $75 range. Sometimes you can find one cheaper.

5. schlechto

schlechto Registered Member

They are on ebay all the time and go for like $30-40 shipped.

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Most J code intakes I've seen on ebay are the dual-plane, divided-plenum style......the single-plane, open-plenum intakes are harder to find.

Or else I haven't done a good job of looking! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. AJMBLAZER

Okay, so I take it the single plane, open plenum intakes are more desireable. What's the difference between the two, and which vehicles were they on?