Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at buying a 6.5

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by mikes85k5, May 10, 2001.

1. mikes85k5

mikes85k5 Newbie

I know this doesn't pertain to 6.2's that commonly were in K5's, but I figure there are obviousily some guys on here that know some stuff about diesels. I have a 2000 K2500 regular cab with a Vortec 350. I found a '98 extended cab K2500 with low mileage at a local dealership and I'm thinking of trading for it. The only mod I've done to my current truck is put a K&N cold air intake on it in hopes of gaining a little fuel mileage. Well, the truck still only averages about 12.5 mpg (it does have the higher 3.73 gears instead of the 4.10s). I really want to get into an extended cab and with the current fuel prices would like to cash in on some mpg's. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage I will be looking at? I don't know yet if the truck has 3.73s or 4.10s, they are supposed to find out for me by tomorrow. Also how much is regular maintenance going to cost me compared to the 350 (like how much more for me to do oil changes, fuel filters, etc.)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

2. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I have an n/a 6.2 in my 84 k5 with an auto tranny. I don't know what gears are in it, but I can go 14 days on one tank full. That's 31 gallons of fuel, driven back and forth to work(40 miles), plus any other short takes to the grocery store or whatever on the weekends. I don't know how good the 6.5t's are, but I'd assume somewhere near me. The turbo helps with power, but if you stay out of it, you won't burn excessive amounts of fuel.
    Regular maintenance isn't that bad. You just have to learn everything all over again. Different oil with specific additives or diesel engines(cost the same as gas engine oil), different filters(diesel filters also filter out water), different fuel(not all diesel fuel is the same plus it stinks), and a couple of other various things like having to wait to start the vehicle. If you bought a diesel, I think you'd like it. The power band is like 0-4000 rpms. That's how they stay so fuel efficient. Diesel engines have no need to rev so high. Best bet, make a friend who has a diesel and live with it for a week.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

"Diesel fuel stinks"? I kinda thought it was more Modern Er Du Cologne. Have you smelled gasoline in the past 20 years, that stuff will knock you out!

On a serious note diesels burn far less at idle and low RPMs than spark ignition motors, just watch how long it takes for a diesel to warm up at zero degrees if it's just idling. Once drove my old man's diesel VW 40 miles round trip at minus 15F and even with the radiator covered the temp gauge never rose above C (cccccooollllldddd)!