Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at buying a 71 Jimmy 4x4..need some help!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by maddog71, May 15, 2002.

1. maddog71

maddog71 Registered Member

Hey
    I saw a 71 Jimmy in my area for sale. I am interested in the removeable top SUVs. What kind of things should I expect with this year of truck? Any common known problems? Is the removeable top include the door window frames? So there is just a windshield and thats it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Maddog71

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The top including the window frame comes off leaving only the window (and roll bar if you have one). The main thing to look for is rust. The hardest to repair is around the window frame and the rocker boxes (a structual member under the doors...it is a 1' x 4' flat part when you look under the truck). The rear fiberglass hatch is also a spot to look out for. The rest of the drivetrain is standard Chevy stuff and easy to find. Check out some pics of mine at the links below. Mine is a '71 which means it came with disc brakes and the egg crate grill.

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=353731&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=353731&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=</a>

A thread from a few months back which is pretty complete. Good luck
    JB

4. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Also - the frame where the steering box connects cracks - allot!. Check for this. I just bought a used truck and didn't know what to look for, turns out the frame is cracked in like 5 places up front (where the steering box mounts, where the front of drivers shakle mounts, and all around that area).
    Be careful. I am going to lose mucho denairo on my 69 thanks to not being careful.
    p.s. - anyone want to buy a beat up 69 withma strong motor?