Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking at buying a dually D70 just to have it lay around...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Sep 25, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Out of an '86 K3500. The new owner bought a dually 14FF to replace the D70 and I asked him about it. He said he needed to call the yard he got the 14FF from to see what they wanted for it. Guy was not at the yard at that moment.

What would be a good or fair price to pay for it? It's the longer axle and has only 50K miles on it. It was very clean and absolutely no rust anywhere on it.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would think give or take $250 would be fair (not necessarily a steal but fair). Unfortunately, most salvage yards think that since the word "dually" is included in the application the price should be doubled. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Most of the wrecking yards out here were wanting $700-800 for those last time I checked. I sold a similar axle out of a Dodge to a guy for $350 once. But myself wont spend over $100-150 on a rear axle if I can help it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. thatK30guy

John, I kind of and hoped you would reply since I know you are "the D70 guy." /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I still have your site bookmarked since I saw your pics of the D60 front calipers on the D70.

I'm not holding out that the yard will ask $250 fit it as I'm seriously thinking they will ask in excess of $500 up to $800. Should I still buy it if its around there at $500? I've been looking for one of these for some time now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. nvrenuf

After thinking about the price a little more I think my previous answer was more inclined to be what I would want to pay rather than the real world price in a salvage yard. Realistically, I would imagine anything in the $400~$500 range would be fair. I would be hesitant to go over $400 unless it was really nice (like you have described) and for anything over $500 I would probably wait because for that much money you might be able to find a complete dead truck - maybe.

For a low mileage clean axle I'd say do it, I payed $250 for one of mine and it was missing a bearing hub. I certainly would have paid more for a nice clean ow mileage one. Of course, if you're needing the axle soon then it's all about how much you are willing to spend rather than what it's worth (I've paid too much several times for the sake of not losing a chance at a specific part).

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I wanted to sell one here once, but no one would touch it. I'ld give it to you free if you weren't so far away.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My opinion is that the GM version of the HD Dana 70 is worth a pretty penny. Most bone yards are wanting some serious dollars for this axle. I would pay $500.00 for one if that is what I needed/wanted . There are plenty of great deals out there but I would consider anyone lucky to find a GM HD 70 for less than five bills .
    Good luck , Tom

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Whatcha going to do - throw rocks at it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You can't beat a 14 Bolt man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i just gave one to a local tranny guy for everything to rebuild my D60F. but i also got it for free, so no big loss to me....
    sorry man.
    Grant

10. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Whatcha going to do - throw rocks at it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You can't beat a 14 Bolt man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking of maybe installing lower gears (5.38) and either shortening the width to match the D60 SRW, or leave it alone and install some seriously backspaced beadlocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But for now, as you say, and if I get it, throw rocks at it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    You can't beat a 14 Bolt man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention: you can beat the 14FF in the gear and locker selections and also in the ring gear diameter size, in which the 14FF is 10.5" and the D70 is 10.54", not that it matters much for that extra .04". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I thought seriously about using the D70 out of a K30 a buddy just bought. the D60's with dually hubs seem so much easier to find then the SRW's and there was a guy on the board running the full width D70HD with a dually D60 and non-modified hummer rims. Perfect setup if you consider 7 inches backspacing and 72 (or 73?) inch WMS. Cheap rims, don't have to buy the SRW hubs for the front... the only worry would be rocks getting into the lugs/hub area.

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

the dana 70 dually axle is only 4" wider than a dana 60 I just run 2 more inches of backspacing on my rear beadlocks.
    the 70 is a great axle ive been abusing mine for years. and have never had any problems.

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You can't beat a 14 Bolt man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention: you can beat the 14FF in the gear and locker selections and also in the ring gear diameter size, in which the 14FF is 10.5" and the D70 is 10.54", not that it matters much for that extra .04". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

.04" you are a picky one aren't you!

Okay, maybe with gear/locker combos, but what about that pinion support, removable pinion, spanner adjustment. BTW, I have hammered the 1 Ton suff I bought from you and "Like-it A-Lot" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. thatK30guy

Thats the only drawback with the D70: no adjusting collars, third bearing pinion support, and the shear size of it. Did I mention the tubes are 4" diameter? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 5/8" thicker than any 14FF. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I'd like to see someone bend tubes of that size. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Good to hear the axles are still holding up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. nvrenuf

Just wait until you crack open the HD, you will be offended by how comparatively small the bearings in a 14 bolt are. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Once you see the bearings you'll know why the tubes are so much bigger, the HD was clearly intended for a much greater work load than the 14 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They are VERY strong axles. From my experience with what comes in the shop, they are pretty strong axles without many problems. We have 14 bolts come in with the tailshaft bearing coming apart and destroying the axle, which isn't pretty. I've seen a few of the guys working on axles where it looks like the pinion on the D70 dropped onto the carrier and chewed it up to pieces. Looks like the pinion nut likes to back off. But hey, like you say... 4" .437 axle tubes verses 3 3/8" .282 or .320 tubes. Not to mention, you ever notice how much more beef the housing has? Good Lord!!

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I don't think that the lack of piliot bearing will be a problem - look at the bearing used at the pinion head ( EXTREMELY long rollers and big diameter assy. ) and the distance between the two bearings keeps the pinion very stable - besides there is NO crush sleeve to worry about .
    The tubes on a HD 70 are 9/16" thick compared to 1/2" on the 14FF ( I am going by memory on this , so I might be off a bit on the 14 FF stuff ).
    As NEVERENUF ( John ) pointed out - the carrier bearings absolutely dwarf the 14 bolt ones.
    One good thing that U2SLOW pointed out to me was that the hubs/brake assy's will interchange between the two axles ( 14FF/Dana 70HD ).
    I am not beating up on the bolt ( I am running one myself in my Blazer ) but if heavy duty/maximum gear is what your after than the HD 70 is where it is at . The only thing I don't like about the HD 70 is the relatively small pinion shaft diameter/spline size at the yoke ( same as a Dana 60 ).
    I say go for the HD 70 axle and don't stop at a 5.38 gear - the 5.86 still has a pretty good tooth contact between pinion to ring gear .
    Good luck on your hunt for one . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Tom