Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at buying K5 need input...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by subsidize, Sep 11, 2000.

1. subsidize

subsidize Registered Member

There's a guy at work that has a '88 Chevy K5 all stock that he's wanting payoff of $3500. He is the 2nd owner and the only time its been in 4WD is when it snowed ( which in OK is not very much). Here's a list of the specs...
    350, 700R, Auto Hubs, 97k miles
    Less than 6 months old - starter, water pump, belts/hoses, alt, new complete sing exhaust.
    Less than 3 months old - all new brakes including calipers and wheel cyl., tires 31" AT's, u-joints, $600 worth of Alpine AM/FM/CD & new speakers, keyless entry, A/C maint.
    He was getting it in good shape for a daily driver for his wife and she went out a bought a new camaro.
    All the interior is is great shape except for the dash has the normal cracks and the body has no dents or scratches but does need a paint job from the flaking paint, no rust anywhere.
    Does this sound like a "Good Deal" for this year? Is there anything that I should be asking about this year model as far as problems?

Thanks
    Chas.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

sounds about right, but try to get him down some more. remember, cash talks. I would really check good for rust(I'm in the infamous rust belt) maybe you'll be ok in OK-haha. And I would have a competent mechanic check it out regardless of any story the guy gives you. You could be saved a major headache...........js

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

is there carpet on the floor? around a year ago someone on this board bought a piece of art, but when he went to take the carpet out the floorboard pulled up with the carpet it was so rusted outso be very careful of what's lies beneath things.
    In 1988 the 700R4 case was upgraded so WHEN the tranny needs rebuilt, which will be within the next 30,000 miles it can be upgraded very easily the the heavy duty version that most builders know how to do.
    Is it IFS (Independent Front Suspension)? or a solid axle? the solid axle is the better way to go if you are interested in off roading much at all.
    It sounds like the Tcase and front axle fluid needs to be changed before doing much off roading, then toggle the transfer case from 4hi to 2 hi every 1/4 mile or so to get oil pumping through the transfer case so you don't burn any parts up.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I just bought a K5 in november for a little bit more money than that. It has been repainted by GM because of that Gun Metal Gray color oxidizing so bad. The 700r4, if it hasnt been already, will need to be rebuilt soon. I have 133,000 miles and I am on my second one. Just check out the basic mechanical stuff and check all around under the truck to see about any rust problems, otherwise it doesnt sound bad. By the way mudfanatic it is straight axle, they didnt change that until 91 i think.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1991 was the last year for the straight axle. 1992 was the change, body style and IFS.
    Actually the name of this forum confirms that[​IMG] "K5 Blazer/Jimmy 69-91"

Rene

[​IMG]

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good deal to me. Check bed floor for rust. My 87 is also rust free but there was some rust in the bed.

7. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Have the front suspension checked out. I bought a 88 with only 75k miles on it seemed perfect then started upgrading things and found a lot of suspension stuff on the front end had to be replaced.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds good, just get him down on the price if you can a little.

Check under all the carpeting and look underneath at all the floors. Get a Giant tranny cooler and you should be good.

OTher than that, at the moment that is all I can think of. Sounds good to me!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

Thing I would do and did to check out my new K5 is to crawl under the whole thing. From exaust to radiator. A "mini-mag lite" is a powerful tool. It will get in the little places. Tap on things and move things around. While underneath tap on the floorboards and other parts too. Try and move the driveshafts...too much play? Look for leaks. Are they fresh or old? When you get out smell the oil and the tranny fluid...smell burnt..is it clear or black as the ace of spades...does it feel like it has metal particales in it? Check for more leaks...find the places where the leaks you saw below are coming from. TAILGATE...check for rust on the hinges (should be able to see this underneath too) Turn everything on (radio, A/C, heater, lights, wipers) Make sure when you drive it the first time you put it in reverse then drive then reverse pausing a bit in between...listen for clunks....thats the Ujoints going...Make sure that you test the 4x4 system. Make sure you test 4lo not just 4hi. When you get into the thing also get into the back seat...things you might not see will pop up...how clean is it..does it look like the kids had a party in it? (I actually walked away from a Blazer because there were still streamers all over the Blazer from a kids party) Check the tuning signals and brake lights. One thing that influenced my decision on my Blazer was that he had kept the stickers up to date so it could be legally driven and not let them expire.

Hope this helps. I prolly left some good stuff out but hey...I am still a newbie in this myself...

SK-15

J**P...Its what's for dinner

http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That actually sounds like a good deal to me. If you know me well, I rarely say something that sounds like a good deal, b/c I'm a good bargainer and I like to talk the price down. But if couldn't talk the price down on that 88'K5, I wouldn't care much, b/c its still a good deal. It wouldn't hurt to try though, b/c you never know. That dude selling it probably doesn't realize how awesome that truck is. For the tranny, like Emmett said, get a big tranny cooler and also a Deep pan for it. That'll keep it going for awhile. For the 700R4, the early years(pre 87') they were notorious for problems, but GM worked out all the kinks, or most of them, in 87' and up. So your 88' should be solid. Also, like others mentioned, check for rust, but you do live in OK, and if the truck has been its entire life, I doubt there would be much. And don't worry about the IFS thing, you don't have it, you have the 10bolt front axle which is close in strength to the Dana44.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]