Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at commuter cars... VW Golf TDI?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Anyone own a Golf with the TDI (Diesel with turbo and direct injection) engine? My commute is soon going to jump considerably, to almost 100 miles one way. I was looking at Honda Civics but then it occured to me to look at the TDI VWs. The Golf and Jetta TDIs get 49mpg on the freeway and have a 700mile range! Combined with diesel being a little cheaper than regular gas it seems like a damn good deal. I'm just curious if anyone has one of these or has driven one. If it's a total dog then I probably won't want to get one, but right now it seems like a pretty good deal. Any opinions?

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i certainly wouldnt call it a dog, but its no sports car...one of my good friends has a new jetta tdi, he can chirp the tires in first and second when he gets on it...
    he does mostly city driving and he's averaging close to 50 mpg...i've driven it a few times, it doesnt feel like much power if you're light on it, but if you need the power just get the rpms up and let the turbo kick in...it doesnt feel like any other car i've ever driven!! go test drive it and you'll see what i mean....
    one of the coolest things is that you cant tell any difference between one person in the car or 5, the high torque really helps out....
    its a nice car, i was looking into one but couldnt afford the payments, i'd recommend it if you're doing lots of miles a day

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Thanks!

I don't need a hot rod to commute with, it's hard to go much fatser than 65 on the packed freeways anyways. I mainly want something that's comfy and gets good gas mileage, but will allow me to cruise at 80 when traffic allows. This thing would save me over $200 a month on gas compared to my 2002 V6 Outback that will be doing commuter duty as it stands now. Plus the fact that the VW TDI engines are supposed to go 300k miles before needing any major work...

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah i know vws have a few little quality control problems, like the faulty window clips, the jettas and golfs had this problem until recently where the window clip would break, and the window would just fall into the door. they've got a lawsuit against them since it went on for so long, but the problem is fixed now.

the tdi is a great cruiser at 80 too btw, can hardly tell its a diesel with the windows up, its not till you throw the hood up that it sounds like a mini school bus..

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I would have to give the thumbs up as well. Nice little car that still feels roomy on the inside. Peppy but not fast, Won't break any speed records but can get out of its own way. VW has come aways in reliability from the 90's as well. Diesels are still catching on so i would find a dealer thats been sitting on a '03 for awhile and work him until you get a screaming deal. If i had to get a commuter this would be the one i would get.