Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at getting 1968 Camaro for DD! Need some info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Jun 4, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yeah i found this sweet deal on a 1968 camaro but havent gone to see it yet hopefully i can this sunday. Anything to know about on these 1st gen camaro's? it supposedly has all new sheet metal/ body, no rust, new rear end, new cowl hood, and some other stuff. Looks really good in the pic nice yellow color dont know what engine but im hoping its a v8 350, or seeing how it is a 68 mabey the the rare 302(dont think its a z28 though but he didnt say) or a BB. I do know that some of the cars had wiring probs, My mom had a 1968 RS/SS camaro and loved that car but she said it did some funney stuff sometimes with lights and what not, but that it hauled A$$. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Check the underside real well especially the rear frame rails and trunk area. That is were all camaro's go bad first and not many replace it just try to hide it, by making the outside look great. Hope it turns out to be in great shape and enjoy it.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey dude, I'd say check for rust around the wheelwells, esepecially the back... Rust will be around the rain gutters and the windshield, and rear window... Theres two grooves that go down the body from the rear window to the trunk lid check around there for rust too. Check IN the trunk and lift up the carpet to check the floor for rust under the driver and passanger side. Basically check everything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'd bet if it has a pumped up engine and probably no subframe connecters you'll find a crack at the top of the A piller between the top corner of the windshield and the top corner of the doors. Unibodys love to twist the tub and create stress cracks when you put some torque under the hood.
    The suspension will probably be needing new bushings etc..

Theres also some great websites to help decode first gen camaros...
    http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673/68camaro.html
    http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

first thing you do is bring it to me and have me look over it for say a period of a few years? Driving it should tell me how it is then. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Man I wish I could find a first gen maro.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

68 CAMAROS ARE SWEET!!!
    Theres probably a reason it has new body parts make sure nothing else is messdup to bad mabe run a carfax if you can also take a magnet with you it will help you find BONDO

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I prefer 69 f bodies. Have a 69 bird sitting in the driveway. Mint body /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just needs a nice 11 second motor and we will be set.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If its from down there, make sure that there is no rust or rust bubbles anywhere. Sure they replaced the sheetmetal, but how good a job did they do, and how long ago. Lots of bondo that you'll find in a year or two?

I don't like cars that have "just been completed" because a lot of times that means the paint job was poor, the bodywork was poor, and so on.

IMO chassis/body condition is more important than drivetrain when talking about a vehicle like this. I'd also suggest not getting "sold" on it being a Z-28, RS/SS whatever, because there are probably 10 times as many Z-28's running around now than were ever produced /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dunno if I'd be looking at one of these cars for a daily driver, but thats just me. More a weekend cruiser, with some POS for the weekly commute.

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Just check for rust also the 302 only came in a 1969 z/28 Camaro

9. 89K1500Chevy

yeah this car is not being sold as completed cuz those are selling for 15,000 and i will say they look sweet as hell. Im calling him tomarrow to get all the details on the car i had my mom call up there today while i was at work to see if he still has the car. It didnt have any badges in the ad. Im hoping i can get better mpg outta the car then the truck but if not ill fill both up then drive one till outta gas then drive the other.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

check the truck floor(look under any mats) for rust.As dorian pointed out, there is always a catch to a just completed car/truck. Why would they do all the work then sell it? Also, check the frame for damage up front. Doors are usually where the bondo is at on these....those long doors seem to ask for dents. Make sure all the body lines are good. Stand in front of it at eye level and look for any visual abnormalties. The best way to check is with your hand. Again, as mentioned earlier, if they replaced a lot of metal, the lines may be off.

Other than that, I've owned 67 camaro, 69 firebird, 72 camaro, 74 firebird and loved them all(except the 69!).

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Just check for rust also the 302 only came in a 1969 z/28 Camaro

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the 302 was used in the 67 and 68 Z28's also, just less were built than in '69. 67 only had 602 302 Z28's built. There were differences to the 302's also. The 67's and 68's used the small journal cranks and short waterpumps/accessory drive while the 69 302's incorporated the changes that took place to the small block in that year. Most notable was the large journal cranks/bearings as well as the long waterpumps/accessory drives.

Chances that this 68 is a real Z28 with an actual 302 are slim, but a built 350 propels a 1st gen F-body quite well, big blocks are best, but the small block car handles better.

12. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Aside from the obvious rust, bodywork & normal safety issues you find with any used car, these are rather simple vehicles. Rust in the dash area due to leaking windshield is also rather common. Most parts are available for repair & they are generally fun cars to own.

As a daily driver, I'll assume it is of fair condition. The worst aspect of these cars is the front drum brakes on the base models. You need to gain a new level of respect for this lack of stopping ability..... A typical 1/2 ton pickup/blazer with 38" tires will stop much better. Severe brake fade from a 65-70 MPH panic stop is normal. These can easily be upgraded to disc from a 68-72 Nova or from the reproduction industry. Big aftermarket brakes are very nice but expensive.

Dont bank on a factory big block or Z28 unless you are spending well over $10K. For reference, they did in fact make 302's from '67 to '69 but only in Z28's. 602 in '67, 7199 in '68 & 20,302 in '69. Also the '68 was a large journal motor... only the '67 is small journal.

Hope this helps.

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, I've owned 67 camaro, 69 firebird, 72 camaro, 74 firebird and loved them all(except the 69!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didnt you like the 69? I think the 69 firebird is one of the sharpest cars out there(thats why I own one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I had a real 69 Z28 with the numbers matching dz302 / 12 bolt posi / m22. It was'nt the RS Z28 but it was very nice. I paid $1675 from a car dealer in Salem Oregon. What a steal /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It was in rough shape but it was still worth about $5000. That was 10 years ago, now it would be worth 3 times that in the poor condition. I love telling that story /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, I doubt it is a z28 or a big block (SS). At least no a real one. There are a great many fakes out there. I would look at numbers first. Get the vin, take a pic of the body number plate under the hood, and get the casting number and the suffix code from the block. Look for the protect-o-plate in the glove box. Also look behind the back seat or under one of the front seats for the interior build sheet and if he will let you, drop the gas tank a few inches and pull the second build sheet from the top of the tank. From these you will be able to tell how much it is worth from a collectors view point.

If it is just a plane jane then I would start looking at what was put in it. Like; does it have a 12 bolt? Is it posi? Or even a 10 bolt posi? How about a 4 speed? If it is a m21 or m22 you will be happy. Hopefully you won't get an auto, m20 or the dreaded 3 speed manual or crappy powerglide. Look for things like a center console. A console with a tack and gauges is worth quite a bit.

Another thing that will devalue the car is if it is a factory v8 or the straight six. If it was a 6 then it will be worth less even if it now has an 8. You can tell by the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the vin. 23 = 6 cyl and 24 = v8.

There is also a plethora or rare options that you should keep an eye out for. Like a speedo with a speed warning indicator or a wood steering wheel, folding rear seat, houndstooth interior, rare paint codes, cross ram, jl8 4wheel disc brakes, etc...

The best thing you can do is get a book on Camaros and read it before you buy. I have several books and most are very quick to read especially if you are just looking up options for just the 68.

BTW - the engine suffix code for a 68 302 is MO

Good luck and I am very jealous. I opted to get the Blazer instead of another first gen pony car.

15. 89K1500Chevy

Here is the pic from the ad [​IMG]

16. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

check the rear floorboard.

17. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I run a '73 in the summer as my DD!

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hey now no bad mouthing the 69 birds /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif wait a few months if I get done what I want I will take you for a ride

19. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

I have a 69 Camaro. I got it ten years ago. It had the usual 1/4 panel and wheel well rust in the rear. I proceded to take it apart and clean and paint all the pieces. I had the sheet metal replaced ... and now it sits.. another unfinished project. It has a great TO DO list... I have a corvette independant rear for it. I had a custom front subframe that used Corvette front suspension. BUT I want an LS1 and the subframe wouldn't work. So I sold that and spent the money. Still need the LS1 and six speed. A new subframe. Late model camaro interior ...etc.. I am addicted to projects. I just dont have the time space or money ...If I could sell my Impala SS, then I could make some progress... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am also doiny my 98 Sportster. flamed paint, shortened fender, billet rims, custom lights .. but I think I am going to sell that too... there is just too much ... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Im not bad mouthing the birds, someone else is.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif