Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at IFS rigs..

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Confedneck, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

looking to purchase a newer IFS truck, 92-98 style.. what should i look for as problem areas?
    my criteria are
    extended cab, short bed, 4x4 shifter on the floor, auto, 350
    not too much to ask i dont think..
    what should i expect to pay?

tia!

2. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i would check the cv shafts, make sure the boots are still on them and make sure there are no cracks around the bolts, minor stuff wiper circuit board normally needs replaced if not done yet, wipers only work when they want after the board goes bad, cab corner rust, these trucks are notorious for rusting out there and the bottom of the doors most people i know have to have the tranny replaced shortly after 100000 so if its close and hasn't been replaced take that into consideration. i would aim for the 96 (maybe 95 too not sure)and up with the vortec motor alot more power but it depends on what you are using it for, but i think most of the wortec motor trucks were push button 4x4, as far as price it all depends body condition and miles, you looking for a stock truck or you wanting one lifted? that also has alot to do with price too. lifted ones have more cv shaft problems depending on how wide and big the tires are. hope this isnt too long /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif this all stuff i have noticed with my 93 chevy x-cab short bed.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i would stay away from one with a computer controled tranny..which are like 94 or 95 and up i think

4. Confedneck

the plan is to get one and put a decent set of mud or all terrains on it, until i can afford an SAS.. i wont lift an IFS truck..
    my neighbor has an 89 that needs a tranny, its a regular cab, but its not a bad truck, im gonna offer him 800 for it after i sell my honda..

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i would stay away from one with a computer controled tranny..which are like 94 or 95 and up i think

[/ QUOTE ]

93+

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why would someone want to avoid the computer controlled trannies? A simple reprogram and a new firmer shift sounds good to me. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

One thing is the heated coil dealy that they used for the 4x4 system on the 88-97' IFS trucks. Mid 97's and later had an electric motor to engage the left axle.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I thought the computer controlled trannys came out with the second gen computers which i believe came out in 96+.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What were they called? OBD2 i think?

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing is the heated coil dealy that they used for the 4x4 system on the 88-97' IFS trucks. Mid 97's and later had an electric motor to engage the left axle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And if you know someone that will give ya the "good guy" price at the local GM dealer, they sell a complete conversion kit to upgrade from the earlier Thermal Linear Actuator to the later elecrtic motor style for about $100. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought the computer controlled trannys came out with the second gen computers which i believe came out in 96+.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What were they called? OBD2 i think?

[/ QUOTE ]
    GM started using the computer controlled trannies in '91 or so. BurbinOR has a factory 4L80E in his '91 3/4-ton Sub. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Our '94 1/2-ton Sub has a 4L60E. You don't even have to drop the pan on these to install a shift kit. B&M sells an electrical device for about $40 that connects into the harness and lets you select from stock, firm, or extra firm shifts by just moving a rocker switch on the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Confedneck

well the neighbor still has that 89 and he might just give it to me... he wants it out of his yard and if he gets the title i told him to move it into my yard..

11. HarryH3

Free is always a good price! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

You don't even have to drop the pan on these to install a shift kit. B&M sells an electrical device for about $40 that connects into the harness and lets you select from stock, firm, or extra firm shifts by just moving a rocker switch on the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I was thinking of. Computer controlled stuff is expensive to work on but I must say, it's pretty cool to be able to buy plug in parts that drasticly change the amount of power and how it runs without even needing to wash your hands, especially true with the newer diesels. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lucky bumb! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You could also get the 4x4 posi lock- the PO of my truck installed it. took me a week to figure out what da heck it was for!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    And if you know someone that will give ya the "good guy" price at the local GM dealer, they sell a complete conversion kit to upgrade from the earlier Thermal Linear Actuator to the later elecrtic motor style for about $100. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]