Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at K5s is this a reasonable price?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 9, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hello, this is my 2nd post, this is my first one check it out 1st post. I went and looked an '88 K5 today, and I have a few questions about it.
    First off here are the specs:
    '88 K5 Blazer Silverado
    154k miles
    rebuilt engine
    no rust that I could see except one place on tail gate where he said a trailer hit it
    small crack in corner of windshield
    lots of vertical scratches on rear window
    top needs to be painted
    my dad thinks either the brakes are going or it needs new pads
    trailer hitch
    painted 8mo ago
    power door locks and windows
    this sounds like a lot of stuff wrong w/ it but it isn't that bad

The guy wants 7k for it, I was thinking about 6500-6000, what you all think about that price is it reasonable or too much? He is selling it b/c he has a new pick up truck, and has an '84 that he is restoring himself. Also I have a few questions about things I think need to be done
    1. AC vent, like the grill on the passenger side is busted, can I find a new one any where?
    2. The removable part of the top can be painted right?
    3. When I was test driving it, the 4 wheel drive light came on and was sort of flickering, not blinking, I asked the guy what is was and I think he said he took the sensor off, and it thinks the 4WD is on, but it isn't he said it gets 6 or 7 or more miles per gallon he said he did it b/c of the rising gas prices. You all know what he is talking about, or is he BSin? That seems like a pretty complicated story to just make up.
    If you read my first post, thanks to all of you all for your suggestions on convincing my dad I am not gona roll it, espeially the bicycle example, he is being a whole lot cooler on getting the bigger tires, and a lift, we passed a brown one coming home w/ like 38" tires and like an 8" lift, and it looked real stable when he was doing a U turn. It had michigan plates I think and a custom plate that said 1 Ton K5 brown, w/ sun glasses hanging in rear view mirror, any one's rig on here?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think 7k is to much. 5k....... maybe ok. I think you should try to stay away from recently painted vehicles. The new paint might be hiding a lot of things. you say it has a little rust, cracked and other problems. i don't think it is worth 7000$$ . around here for 7k ( 10 500 cnd for me)
    For that much money, around here you can get a Blazer in almost mint cond. I don't think its worth 7000$$. Mayb 5000$
    Yes the hard top can be painted.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

7k iS WAy too much. 3-4k sounds about right. 154K, you know that motor is going sometime in the near future, so use that as an example. (even though, some 350s last till 200-300k. But still, you never know. No rust sounds good, but look harder, check under rug and all. How is trans, tires, interior, exterior, etc? if all good, then maybe 4K at most. Trust me, I've seen some sweet ass blzers or less than 4k. Good luck.
    Boss

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even consider 7k. I bought my 89 with 100,000 miles, and 15,000 on a brand new 350. Power everything, AC works great. No rust except for the little tailgate problem most of us have. Body and interior in great condition. All it needed was paint and tires. I got mine for $3,800. So I'd check around some more if I were you.

89 K5 Silverado

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Oh yea.... It sounds like he's BS'n about the 7-8 more miles per gallon (Everyone would do this if it were possible). And your welcome for the bicycle example [​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado

6. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

TOO MUCH! The original price must have been close to that.
    Look around you can find a better deal. Keep an eye open in the papers and you`ll find one that comes closer to what you should be spending. Man for 7k that thing should be cherry.

7. Cua757

Cua757 Registered Member

He's asking way too much dough! Have the Blazer checked out at a good shop and see if the driveline and powerplant are in good shape. There is nothing worse than buying a car that looks good but runs like sh!t. If that happens, all the guys driving crapmobiles (but mobile crapmobiles...)get too laugh at you stuck on the side of the road with a great looking ride. Don't want to scare you, but it happens. I hope it turns out to a good one though... Just don't pay 7000 clams for it.

Gonna Get me a Machine...

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your suggestions. You all really got me thinking, that price was awful, well anyway, I went and looked at another one tonight. Here are the specs:
    88' K5 Blazer Silvarado
    168k miles
    $4900
    new Michelin (sp?) tires
    needs paint job, peeling on hood, but no rust, actually i am glad it needs a paint job, i wasn't too big on the black and gold
    he said no rust and i didn't see any
    interior excellent (especially compared to 7k one)
    small crack on windshield, smaller than 7k one
    v8
    towing package
    guy said he has used same mechanic on all his cars, since 81, mechanic said he wanted first pick on the truck if he ever sold it, but mechanic is in hospital having back surgery
    guy said he had never been offroading
    my dad said it drove a ton better than 7k one, this one, gas pedal easy to push, 7k one hard, 7k one had to push in brake really far and hard, this one no, steering tighter on this one than 7k one
    oil changed every 3k miles
    transmission fluid changed every 3k miles
    has been sitting in neighbor's driveway for a week, driveway is clean (no oil or fluids leaked on it)
    Here is the part that worries me
    no new engine or transmission where 7k one had a rebuilt engine, and new transmission
    the guy did say he had the rear end rebuilt

Well what you all think for $4900 asking price?

Do you think I am just asking for trouble w/ 168k miles, no new engine or transmission?
    Yes, I am gona have a mechanic look at it, I am mostly waiting for a new truck trader to come out on Tues.

When I take it to a mechanic, anything particular I should get him to look for besides rust everywhere, and pull up carpet to look for rust?

Thanks!

9. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Just an FYI. When purchasing my '87 last month (thru a dealer to get my financing - UGGGHHH) we quickly checked the carpeting. Looked dry around the edges but turns out have had to rip up all back padding - drenched. Couldn't tell til the dealer air freshner wore off and had windows shut tight on a hot day - felt like a swamp when I got in, and the smell!!!. At least no signs of rust.

Paid 6K for 87 w/ 120k miles. Again due to my financing issues. They were asking 8K, ha ha, no way. Would have loved a private purchase and saved some bucks.

Be realistic and prepared to invest some additional money into 10+ yr rig. Have fun, loving it now.

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I bought my 86 k5 last year for 1300.00 and it had 113,000 miles on it. Better look around some more...there are deals to be had...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

11. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

So are you guys saying I am crazy to get that rig or not? Money is not too big of an object (hey I aint paying for it, but I don't want my parents to get ripped off) I mean there is a 90' in truck trader for $11900 (no typo), stock, nothing special at all, kept bout 1/2 hr. from beach (salt) that is a ridiculous price. I would rather pay more for a rig, even a little too much for one that is in great condition. Rather than get what I thought was a great deal for $3000, then end of having to put $7000 in it 6 mo. down the road just to get it to run.

So basically should I go after that one w/o the new engine if there is nothing in Tues. truck trader, and mechanic says it is ok? Thanks guys!

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think the second one is the best option. The price is still high in my opinion. If you take a mechanic, have him look at parts that wear like breaks, tie-rods, ball-joints, u-joints. If any of these are worn, you have a reason to ask for a lower price.

Also check the frame near the steering box, since most Blazers crack near it. Mine has it on the inside of the frame near the bumper. The fix is easy, but it can cost about $200, so you can argue a lower price. Look for rust. The carpet can hide it, so look underneath the Blazer. Also check the fenderwells, and inside all the lower portion of the body.

I think it's better to have the engine not rebuild. That way you can have it rebuild the way you want by the shop you want.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

13. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Don't make the mistake of getting in a hurry to buy a vehicle. Just hang out...the deals will show up. For me it's always when I'm not looking anymore or don't have the cash that unbelieveable deals pop up. As far as rust, Please...please...please look underneath blazers back by the tailgate...look at the floorboards & the tailpan(it's a metal bar that runs the width of the truck underneith the tailgate, hinges attach to it)...make sure that it's not cracked or too rusty and most importantly that it's there. Feel or look underneath both doors @ the rockers, they should have a back side..if they don't but don't appear rusty they've probably been replaced w/cheap aftermarkets. hmmm where are some more good rust spots...oh look in the rear wheel wells, looking to the front of the blazer. There's what looks like a box there...it's where the floor boards in the truck rise up about 6-7"....this always rots out...check that out and see how bad it is. Check the tires carefully to indicate if there are any front end problems

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

The second deal sounds better, but if I were going to get something like that, I would probably pay $3k for it at most. I'm a good bargainer though. Definately look for everything everyone mentioned to look for, (RUST). Good luck.
    Boss

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If you can get a list of everything thats wrong with it, chances are he'll come down on the price some more. I still think that price is a little high, if you wait long enough you will find a killer deal. Thats what I did with mine, it took me about 2 1/2 months to find mine, but it was well worth the wait for the price. Instead of spending the dough on the 7k, why not get the other one and use the diff. to put a new 350 in it?

89 K5 Silverado

16. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

When buying used vehicles it's always a gamble. But just like gambling you can increase your odds by learning about the game (so to speak). You could buy a used rig for $7000 with a rebuilt engine & tranny and still have it go to crap. Or buy a rig for $3000 with original engine & tranny & it might go till 300k miles, or not, but when you have to replace it, you could put in a new engine and tranny with the money you saved and have the warrenty for them. You have to be careful when someone says "rebuilt" who rebuilt it? Do they do good work and have a good warrenty, and will the warrenty transfer to you (usually not).

JF

17. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I got an 88 Jimmy for 2200.
    rebuilt trans,
    33 inch tires
    minimal rust inside by tailgate
    clean interior, no rips or stains
    whats nice about buying a truck for 2200 is that i can sell it for 5000. its called wheelin and dealin.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The engine should be fine for a while if it runs good now but that is strange for a 700 to go 168K without a rebuild. Most I have seen were rebuilt around 80-100K so I'd expect it to give you some trouble if not now, not very far away. It definately sounds like a better deal than the first one. Try to use some of the little things that are wrong with it to bring the price down liek dents or windows that don't roll down well anymore. That sounds like a good deal. I've seen a lot of stock K5s for $10-12K and its a rip off. Mine was $7000 but the guy had done all the performance stuff, lift, tires, and paint to it so I probably ended up saving money in the long run. I hope it works out.

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Actually the tranny fluid getting changed every 3000 helped it a lot probably.

20. DaveBlazer

DaveBlazer Registered Member

The second one sounds better but the price needs to come down. $3100 is wholesale on 88 k5. $4900 sounds more like a price you'd pay at a dealership. I just bought a 88 k5 silverado for $2400. I talked the guy down from $3500. Mine has orig engine w/147,000 miles, prof. rebilt trans 6months ago minor rust. overall clean. put your head above the real tire and look twards the front of the blazer look real close and look for rust where the cab steps up. They love to rot out there. shake the seats ckecking for weak floor boards. check the alignment of the doors ( they tend to sag) make sure they close ok. Good luck, be patient and always bargain!
    Dave