Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at Nice non-Ac 72. How much trouble?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Aug 17, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I'm hot after a first gen blazer. I'm looking at one out in Cali, but went to look at one today in Colorado Springs. It is real nice truck. Ultra nice. Other than the original green interior (all stock and original) which can be overlooked, it doesn't have AC. I don't really need AC for commuting to and from work occasionally (all highway miles) but I just can't get off the no AC issue ( I sweat like a pig).

What are my options?

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

find someone on here with an old ac system. most people here dont run em and take them off. its noit hard to add on. it would be easy to bolt on. the only bad part is paying someone to suck a vacuum and fill it with freon.

nathan

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Also, Vintage Air and others have retrofit kits which reportedly work great down here in Texas. Expect to pay $1000-1200 or so installed, though. I would guess you would spend nearly that if you count the time to gather up all the stuff you will need for a stock retrofit using new parts, like I am planning for the GMC...

http://www.vintageair.com/vintage.htm

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could add A/C later.....but if you want the "factory" style you are going to have to figure out how to cut the dash area to install the two extra A/C ducts. If you've seen a 1st Gen with A/C, you know where these are....if you don't, they are very close to the door hinges on each side.

I guess if it were me, and the truck was exactly what I wanted otherwise....I'd just factor in about $1000 for the A/C installation, and decide if the truck was worth that price.

Sounds like it is, though.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Its the dash thing that troubles me. Otherwise, it is a sweet truck. It was rhino-lined professionally and is real clean. It does have the double wall top - I noticed the sag on top.

I could easily do w/o AC for a while, but it will be a definate eventually (if I want the wife to ride in it). Hmmm perhaps I should leave out the AC.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I'm stoked to get into the Blazer thing! I feel as if I'm graduating from the Jeep.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The dash bolts in and could be switched with one from a A/C truck.

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

If you want factory style A/C it's a pain to add, there are 3 vents that are not on the non-ac trucks. you'd either have to do some fine tune cutting or replace the entire dash with one from an A/C truck. If you don't mind your truck being down for some time then I'd say factor in the cost both ways, the dash job is a real time consuming deal but could be rewarding. and you'd have the opportunity to paint it real nice the right way with it out if you so chose the other way would be vintage air. Nice setup, but again if it was mine I'd still use a factory a/c dash and there system.
    good luck

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Or just go by the nice one, yank the top and get one of those cigarette lighter fans and be real hardcore ya get more looks that way anyway, people dig the topless effect

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The dash does not bolt in completely, it bolts in on the ends, but it is spot welded along the bottom of the windshield. There are also extra holes that would have to be cut in the firewall, because the heater boxes are totally different with and without A/C. I have seen people do the conversion, but it would be a lot easier to go with an aftermarket system from Vintage Air, or Old Air Products.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i gotta get one of those fans. long redlights suck when its 97. you definatley get more looks. started college back today and thats all i got. i loved coming out to the parking lot and look over all the rice burners to my blazer.

nathan

11. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I pulled parts from two trucks (including the dash) and I still dont have a complete setup. Dash is spot welded along the bottom windshield lip - PITA!! The parts bolt up and you can cut the dash for the vents to save some pain but I think the easiest way is to install aftermarket system. The hardest parts for me to find are the engine brackets... I'm putting the box in and MAYBE one day I'll hook it up. For now havin the top off has made A/C secondary (just need a bikini top)

12. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Whoever invented the ciggarette lighter fan is a genius. I say scrounge up 25.95 and get a nice one. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I have an original A/C unit that I'm going to part with.

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

You don't have to remove the entire dash. A lot of people have unbolted the sides of the dash and then cut it off under the dash pad. It is easy to re-weld and hide the changes under the dash pad. You also don't have to remove the window to install it.

I have seen several used under dash units for sale on 67-72chevytrucks.com in the past.