Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at purchasing some 3/4 ton axles, What do yall know about external hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Alright I finally found a set of axles near me and I was going to see what you guys thought about them. They are from a 1970's truck they're a D44 with flat top knuckles, and a 14bff. The rear has 4.10's and the front is either 4.09 or 4.11, according to the owner they both need some work, seals, bearings, brakes, and maybe gears up front due to some chipped teeth. I believe he is asking $425.

This sounds like alot because of the work that has to go into them, but they are only about an hour and a half away and the 14bff around here would go for $300 just by itself. How much am I looking at for gears and a locker for the rear, if I want to run 5.13's and a detroit?

Taking into account gas, or shipping if someone can find me a cheaper set, I'm all ears.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

gears are around $200, detroit is around $350. install kit prolly $150. paying someone to do the install $100-200

go to the vendors section pic one out & pm them. i am sure they would be happy to give u a price quote for those parts.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, seems pricey ... but if they're local, and you're gonna regear anyway... and since they're flat top ... maybe.

Definitely have the passenger knuckle machined & drilled before you put the axle in, even if you're not gonna go crossover right away.

Also, obviously, replace the ball joints.

One thing, if it's old enough to have the external hubs, I'd stay away... long as it has the internal hubs, you're okay.

-- A

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I definitely wouldn't buy them unless you plan to rebuild them, as it sounds like you do. Like stated, you're looking at about $350 for the gears and install kit. A Detroit from Summit is $425. I think you'd have to pay more than $200 for install though; guess it depends on the type of shop you take it to. :dunno:

I'm betting it's got external hubs. Most people don't like them; I've never used 'em personally.

I would wait for a better deal, but maybe your region isn't good for parts. I got a D44/14bff set with 4.56 gears out of a '74 3/4ton for $200.

Watch craigslist and see if you can find some local four wheelin' type boards.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

$425 is too high. a detroit is easy to install in a 14FF. regearing should be done by someone with experience. wait for a set with 4.56 gears.

I have run external hubs and prefer them over internals. easier to work with. and if you blow one on the trail you pop it off and pop on a complete new one.

I bought a 14FF/D44, 205, and both driveshafts for $300. they were 4.56 gears. sold the 205 for $200. thats the kind of deal you need to find.

up here you can get a complete 3/4 ton truck for $425, keep the axles, sell the rest and probably end up with money to buy balljoints and brakes. trucks tend to rot away more up here though.

6. mr.smartass

But yeah that's up there... people are proud of their junk down here. If you get a chance check out craiglist in my area... it's a joke. Or use whitepages.com and search for some JY's and give them a call... Or even search ebay or autotrader... any decent deals I've seen are in Indiana or Pennsylvania or some where else in the Northeast or some where way off... The classifieds also suck.. people still drive their trucks down here, things don't rust down here so there really isn't a reason to sell it or part it out...

7. mr.smartass

Anyone else got any input?

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

$425 sounds really high. But for your location, that might not be. I'd be patient and see what you can find.

I bought and old '77 K20 farm truck for $150, which had a 4:10 geared D44/14BFF combo. I was patient and waited for the right deal.

If the D44 is 8-lug and has flat-tops from the factory, then it most likely has external hubs. About the same time internal hubs showed up, the flat tops disappeared.;)

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can someone explain the difference between external and internal hubs?

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

External:

[​IMG]

Internal:

[​IMG]

Internal goes inside the hub, as in all 10-bolts and later D44's ... external sits on top and is much less common.

-- A

11. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try the Mississippi Market Bulletin. It is a paper for mainly farmers trying to unload stuff. See some great deals every now and then. Search for the page and then archived papers. It will be in an acrobate format but usually around page 9 or 10 is a heading for trucks, accessories & parts. The Jan. 1st issue doesn't really have anything though. It comes out on the 1st & 15th of each month.

I am checking on another one close by for ya, but it looks like a 14sf.

12. mr.smartass

Great site Ward, thanks for the info. I asked the guy and he said he thinks they're external hubs. If I do get the axles, should I convert them? are there any real disadvantages? I don't run rocks at all, because there are none. MS doesn't even have a single mountain! You guys got any input?

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the only difference between external and internal hubs is that external bolt on (like FF rear axleshafts) instead of fitting into a 2nd set of splines inside the hub.

i have heard they are weaker and that the bolts back out that hold the hubs on, but i've never seen proof of this. if i were you, i'd just run 'em.

14. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Just food for thought...

He's asking $425.00. That leads me to believe the price is negotiable, and cash in hand talks. Is this worth your time and a few $$$ in gas to see if he'll take $300 or $350 in hand? That's your call.

Personally, I have learned through life and my buildup that the only way to know is to replace. That's what I feel is an accepted practice to this hobby. Bearings, seals and races for an axle should run you $100.00 an axle. Gears and lockers prices are easy for you to find and calculate. If you're gonna rebuild, then tear them down all the way and start from scratch. That means you should get them as cheap as possible with as little main line defects, i.e, housing, carrier, knuckles, hubs, etc. At $215.00 per axle, and your planning a rebuild, sounds like a good starting point to me (as long as there are no major defects). Talk him down. You still have the power to say "NO" and walk away. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Manny

15. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I'm with wat Manny said. Just look around, talk, make deals and you'll find the right deal for yourself soon. Thats what I did and now me and a fellow CK5er are setting up a date to get some axles installed in my truck.

16. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran externals on my 44. I liked them. the bolts never loosened up. I never hit them on anything. they make servicing the front axle easier. you don't have to get as greasy when takimg the hubs apart.

17. mr.smartass

Well all considered I guess it doesn't sound that bad, I just wish I could get him down to more around $300, I guess it never hurts to try.

18. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

I second that.I've been running the original spicer hubs('72 D44)for 4yrs.with zero problems.run them til the break,if ever.by then you'll have had them long enough to form your own opinion.However...the new set of external hubs that i just bought(Superwinch) were $120.but i like them so i don't care!