Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at used K5, need to know some costs for it

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KingSmoth, Jun 1, 2001.

1. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Hey, I had to pass up on the last K5 I was looking at, I just didn't have the money to spend for it at the time. I found another one, pretty good: It is an 86 w/power windows/locks, black, tons of replaced parts, and a new 350, for $2400. The guy is the second owner, the original owner was a friend of his. He has kept it in good shape, and done all work on it himself. However, there are two problems with it: first off, he said that there was a problem with the transfer case so he removed it, now the K5 is only 4x2. Also, he said it doesn't have A/C. My two questions:
    1. How much would a new transfer case cost?(I know jack about trucks to be honest, I'm new to this)
    2. I didn't think to ask him if the a/c just didn't work or if it didn't have a/c at all. I don't use my A/C a whole lot, but there are some extremely hot days here in GA where it would be good. How much would it cost to fix if it does have A/C, just non-working?
    Thanks for any help.

Premier, Pioneer, Phoenix Gold, Stinger, HiFonics, Image Dynamics, Ground Zero

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If he removed the transfer case, he'd have also had to put in a 2WD Transmission, so you'd need that too. Prices can be nearly nothing, or tons, depending on what setup you went with. The same goes for the A/C, it depends on what exactly is wrong with it. It could be a fuse, or it could be any number of expensive things. For an entry level truck, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a slightly more complete one, just my 2/100ths of a dollar[​IMG]

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ditto
    Lots of rigs to be had that work for alot less.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey, I might pass this one. Did he actually *remove* the transfer case, or just the front driveshaft? If the TC truly is removed and a 2wd tranny installed, that might be a little expensive for what it needs to get back on the trail. But I find it a little odd that he'd go to the trouble of taking out the TC and tranny and replacing the whole setup. Why wouldn't he just do a new TC instead of going to the trouble of converting over? Doesn't sound right to me.
    If the TC is there, and just the front shaft removed, find out what the problem is with the TC (my truck just had the front shaft removed because the slip-yoke was hosed when I bought it. I replaced the shaft and I'm back in 4x4 no problems). If this is the case, then it might be worthy...
    Take a look at the top of the motor. The AC compressor is usually painted black, with 2 aluminum hoses bolted to the back of the unit. I'm not sure in an '86, but on my '88, it's on the drivers side above the power steering pump. If it's there, the truck is equiped with AC, but who knows why it isn't working (it may not have a belt on it, but don't assume that's why it doesn't work. Find out why the belt was taken off, either no refrigerant or siezed compressor typically). If it's not there, there's a pretty good chance it's not equipped for AC.
    Also, run the windows up and down a couple times. They should be smooth and quiet, but if not may just need some lube in the guts. Check the back window especially; you can't open the gate if you can't get the window down a certain amount... Check the edges of the bed for holes rotted through (pull up the carpet and check the whole bed out), tailgate hinges for rot, under drivers seat floor, front of rear wheel wells, inside front fenders, rocker panels (below doors) etc.
    It may be a good truck for the price if it only needs a front shaft. If it needs a whole tranny/tc/mount install, it might not be worth it. Find out the exact details, then find out what it would cost to fix/add the stuff you want to it (call junkyards etc.). Good Luck with it!!

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Smells fishy I'd pass!!

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. what Pugsley said... keep your eyes peeled...
    My friend Jason is selling his truck.. 85 blazer.. everything works.. just that it's in texas.. he want's $3,200..
    Can make a trip like Rene did.. "trustyk5"...

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

7. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't take a dime less than 4 thou for mine..but it ain't for sale.....(Phyte bought a heep)...

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I would pay that if it had the TC missing, BUT the A/C worked.

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Kingsmoth, this post may be long dead, but I just took some photos for another post, and figured I'd get one of an ac compressor for you. http://k5.8m.com What more is there to life?**

10. KingSmoth

Thanks for the info guys, I decided to pass it up after all, there are so many K5's in the area I'm sure I will find a good one soon enough. If I actually knew about trucks I could tell you more, but I didn't know what to ask him. He just said that he had a 700R4 in there and it burnt up on him 3 times, so he put in 2wd crap so he wouldn't have to mess with it. I never did call him back to find out more about it, because I don't want the hassle of fixing stuff.
    On a side note, I was at the Super Chevy Show in Atlanta this weekend, and came across an 86 for sale, stock with a very clean interior, asking $8000, insane........
    I will post again once another K5 catches my eye; hopefully I can be an owner soon. I've been debating for over a year between Jeep or K5, and the Chevy show this weekend made that decision very easy.......:)

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if you want working A/C I have a 79 that as it sits I'll sell if for $4500. that includes new crate with 20k on it, monster built TH350, Power everything and everything but the intermitant wipers works including the A/C and cruise. Brand new BFG A/T's. If get to keep the motor I'll sell it for $3k with a "OK" engine in it. Low on oil pressure but runs good. $50 in bearings and it would be fine. The truck has one mechanical problem. The drive shaft needs a new slip shaft ($150). It has a rotten rocker pannel. and it has some trail rash. As it sits if it had a good drive shaft I wouldn't think twice about driving it to Daytona. It's in Marietta Might even talk me into putting a lift kit on for a few bucks more for a 4 inch rancho. It has Slider windows in the shell and typical tail gate problems most have. Dual 2 chamber Flowmasters and It will pass GA emisions (as soon as you put the cats on that are in my garage that are included They may be on it by the time I'm ready to sell). Other than the trail rash it's pretty typical for a 79 as far as looks. Mechanicly it's excelent other than the driveshaft and we might be able to work that out.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

12. KingSmoth

Grim,

Thanks for the offer, I will think on it. If you could, e-mail me at kingsmoth@knology.net to forther talk about it. Thanks.