Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking at ZR2's...

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by Hathaway, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Looking at ZR2\'s...

Any advice? I test drove a '99 ZR2 S10 this morning and i'm pretty sure its what i want to trade the blazer in on. Any one have any advice on what to look for as problem areas? Damn nice trucks i must say /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hope i can get one within the next few months.

2. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Re: Looking at ZR2\'s...

The ZR2 is a nice rig for an IFS setup. It does have several goodies that are worth the extra cash IMHO. Superlift even makes a 6" kit for it but I would check it out carefully if I were to go that route. I have spent several $1000's on my standard 4dr to make it into a mock ZR2, in retrospect I could have just bought a ZR2 and maybe had a better truck. I do get better use out of four doors tho.

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm assuming you dont have an S-10 now. ball joints are a common problem around 60-70 K. oil lines for the remote filter seem to leak almost every 30k if not sooner (big pain). buddies of mine have had the trannies go out kind of early, probably a tranny cooler would have prevented. my dads idler arm wore out around 80k. all vehicles have their problems though. the 4.3 is pretty powerful and the zr2's do look sweet. to answer your Q the best I would probably say they would have the same problems as any other s-10, dont think the zr2 package changes much as far as durability.

4. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I would say go for it. S10's do have their few problems like ChevBlazin said. However, with a poweplant like the 4.3 they are very durable trucks. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but in my 91 s10 the power window on the driver side quit working at 180,000 miles. Also I would recommend a tranny cooler on any tranny, but you probably already knew that.

5. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I have a 1996 ZR2. Ball joints and tie rod ends are the parts my truck likes to eat up. I replace them about every 2 years. I had one ball joint almost pull the ball out of the pocket a couple months ago whe I replaced them last time /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif - the truck gets SCARY to drive when it's time to replace suspension parts... just kinda wanders all over the road.

My ZR2 is sensitive to cross winds.

My ZR2 also likes to chew up brake pads... I average about a set of Z-rated pads a year... but I only had to buy the first set at Autozone... the last 3 times I've replaced them they're free!

I have a manual transmission, so I haven't had any automatic tranny woes. A buddy of mine had the same exact truck as me but a year newer and he blew his auto up twice in 3 years. I've put about 120k onto the clutch in my truck and it's still fine, but my throw-out bearing is about toast.

Aside from that, no problems and I've had the truck since new.