Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for 100-150 gain cheap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Oct 23, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I dont want to use nitrous because i have to constantly change timing and carb setting just to use it and not to mention make sure i have enough pressure running through. Im looking at ways to gain 100-150 hp out of
    CASTING # 14093638
    350 2 bolt main with non roller cam it has from the specs 250 hp 4500 rpm 350 ft pnds torque at 3600 rpm

roughly how much would it bump me up to if i changed the cam intake manifold indexed my plugs? if there is any other cheap way buzz in and am i at least close to my goal? if i can find a nice pair of heads that might work but then again im looking for cheaper way.

thanks for any input

2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Define "cheap" and dont forget the "extras" like gaskets, they add up fast. To answer your ? I think the correct cam, intake, carb and headers should get you close to your 100 h.p. And you need to budget for heads If you want to get that 150 h.p. goal. Don't get to hung on h.p. though, it's torque that gets you up the hill and over the rocks.

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

well i was looking at $300 tops i have an edelbog 1406 carb have headers aluminum no name intake manifold and looking for vortech heads and a little beefier cam not to much i dont want a lopy idle and loss of pressure to my brakes and have to build a vacume canister as for the engine i have to get new gaskets cause the motor doesnt have oil pan valve covers timing cover its just a long block. i shooting for at least 9.6.1 compression but i have no info on the heads that are comming with it other than its the ones that originally came from that motor i dont know the stock specs might even be ok for my 73 ive driven this dog for a while now and forgot the feeling of a healthy motor.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You *won't* make 100 extra horse with $300. Period.

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

lol well I can dream so some way for it to happen :D maybe someone knows a secret like that tornado thing :haha: I may be able to pick up some junkyard heads for $300 gotta be good for at least 60 hp not sure how much torque tho

7. theperfectgarage

compared to earlier oem iron heads vortec are worth about 30 hp, to get more requires the right cam and that generaly requires machine work. rust bckt said it all, 300.00 'aint gonna cut it. It sounds like you should do a compression test to make sure the mill is worthy of a tune up and if it is throw wires, plugs etc. on her and start saving your $$. P.S. don't waste your money on tornados.

8. Keith in CO

Keith in CO Registered Member

cheap torque?

You have a truck and a small block. You have $300. You need to get your head out of the small block world and make power using more cubes. You're an Olds guy, go get a '70s Olds (or Buick or Caddy or Poncho) luxo-barge with a low mileage engine which does not knock, click or smoke, and swap that bad boy into your truck and throw the rest of the car away. Instead of making power at 4600rpms, you will feel the torque in the seat of your pants at 1500 - stock.

Q: Why not a Chebby 454? A: fine, if you can find one for $300 - good luck. Get a BOP big block and a $55 adaptor from Summit Racing.

9. theperfectgarage

Cant argue with that, but it will still cost more than 300.00 by the time it's ready to fire.

10. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    300 dollars will buy you maybe 30 hp. Think of it as 10 for every 1 hp gain. headers seem cheap for these, if it is pre-78 you dont need cats, which add some, and putting in the highest quality fluids in everything has seen 7 hp boosts. Other than that nothing for 300 will get you 100 hp, nos wont even do that, causel you'll blow that engine right off its mounts. And those tornado things arent the best in the world. There still myhical... Until I physically see it alone on a stock car and am there for the dyno. There are basic principles to an ingine, oxygen level, explosion, output, and friction. you decrease back pressure (exhaust) you increase HP but loose torque. turbos and superchargers cram oxygen to burn more fuel quicker at once.