Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for 15X38's or 39's will trade my very new 35" BFG M/T's and cash

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by bottomfeeder, Sep 24, 2004.

1. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

Looking for 15X38\'s or 39\'s will trade my very new 35\" BFG M/T\'s and cash

I have a set of very new, never been off road yet, 35X15X12.50 BFG M/T's ia ma looking to trade fore something a little bigger. I am hoping for something in the size of 38's or 39's. anybody want to make a trade. I can kick in some cash if that will help. And they are in reasonable shape.

thanx /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Rich

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Looking for 15X38\'s or 39\'s will trade my very new 35\" BFG M/T\'s and ca

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but a locked 1/2 or 3/4 ton front axle is not going to hold up to 38-39" tires. They will kill your front axle. The ball joints will wear out very fast, especially if you use very little offset rims. The axles will break easy in short order too if you do anything remotely hardcore.

38's might be doable but realize that the larger and heavier the tire is the more stress it takes out on an axle. You will have to wheel like a total grandma to have any chance at them holding up. Get very accustom to replacing ball joints with tires like that.

Guy's here in AZ routinely break D44's and 10 bolt axles with 35" tires. Most guys running 35-37" tires with low BS (2.5" or so) get 3-6 months life out of a set of balljoints before they need to be replaced. So make sure you replace them with a lifetime warranty ball joint otherwise your money will leave you very quickly.

I am running 35" tires and I have already invested in spare axles, spindles, hubs, etc because if you are going to wheel locked 1/2 ton front axles they are going to break.

Harley

3. bottomfeeder

That's kind of funny. I was just about to post up and ask this very qwestion. Thanx for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I will probably go ahead and stay with the 35's until I wear them out.

Thanx

4. Hossbaby50

You need to hit the trail with us locals. You will be surprised what 35's can do even with the big trucks. It is about the drives ability, the ability of the spotter, and setup of the truck more then tire size. A good driver and spotter will take a truck on 35's places a truck on 39s with a bad driver or spotter will never make it to.

Harley

5. bottomfeeder

[​IMG]
    This is what I am used to wheeling in. I can't wait to get the Blazer out on the trails.

[ QUOTE ]
    You need to hit the trail with us locals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you guys have anything planned? I am going to try to get to Crown King for some camping. I don't want to bring much gear so we will eat at the local establishments and stay in a tent. And of course, sit by the campfire. Anybody interested?

Rich

6. Hossbaby50

Moab is this weekend so some of the guys will be out of town. After this trip is over there should be lots of runs coming up. The wheeling season is just starting should be good. There is trails to fit everyones trucks and lots of fun to be had.

Are you going to take the back road up to Crown King (lake pleasent to CK) or the front road threw Cleator?

The back way is a good trip. It is long but is very pretty and the four wheeling to get there is pretty tame stuff. If you have 35's and lockers it would be a cake walk. I made it with 32's and a limited slip.

Harley

7. bottomfeeder

I want to do the back way so I can get a feel for this rig on the not so hard stuff. Last time, I did the trip in my Montero with 33's and dual LSD and it was no trouble at all. I want to check all the new stuff on the Blazer and make sure everything works real well before I take it somewhere with a little more challenge.

I have to go out town the next 2 weekends and them I am going to start making some trips.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif