Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking For 1973 Blazer Bed Sides + Questions About Them.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Please Help My 1973 Blazer Tow Rig By Telling Me Where To Get Quality And Not So Expensive Bed Sides At The Same Time!

I am looking for a good place to get the bed sides from mine are filled with a hallacious amount of putty(2in thick in spots) Its rotted from the bottom of the wheel well and just below the crease to the top.

If anyone knows I have a questions.

When you order them from somewhere is it a skin or the full bedside?
    mines rusted through the first layer of metal and the second set. It could be fixed but the way I am it will bother me knowing whats underneath and I will always have a fear of the paint job cracking or bubble rust forming back underneath and so on.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

From what i've seen in the past they are skins only. They also are shipped truck freight which gets expensive fairly easy.

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I should have figured if im gonna pay for truck frieght they had better be the full sides.

For what they want from them and for what lmc's pictures show it looks kinda misleading.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They are only skins you will probably have to make the inner panel if it is rusted out Also speaking from my own expirance a having a good freind who is a body guy cheap and quality panels are never heard in the same sentence. If they are that bad find a newer blazer and cut your windsheild off cut its half cab off and you have a new rust free 73 blazer

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

they cant be just skins, they would warp long before a company that ordered then ever go them in their hands,

the ones I have seen and ordered in the past for a k5 come as the whole deal, corner structure and all.

you wont get lucky as I did with actual gm pieces, but aftermarket is not so bad and I have used those too.

certifit had them 3 years ago for 180.00
    grind and drill out the old one and spot weld on the new

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I am going to call lmc truck and ask them if they can get me some detail, for $400 a side it better be a full panel.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

when you pull up your carpet, and your interior paneling,

it replaces everything above the floor panel, also has provisions to bolt your gas tank filler panel on the passenger side back in place, the only thing that stays is the door frame when the vin is and the interior panel the runs verticlal and is on the inside, its a rectangular piece.

the panel will fit right over the door vin plate area and spot weld on just like the factory did it, go look at yours, where you see the seam sealer is where it will go.:thumb:

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch..
    Im working on restoring this instead of beating it because everything is in very good shape as far as the body goes except for the bed sides and its really only the passenger side the drivers side has a small hole above the wheel well but nothing major, im replacing both.

so in conclusion this will be my tow vehicle and towing another 73 rock crawler behind it.

now to find a decent d60 for the tow vehicle at carlisle truck nationals found some they were like $900

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Someone has a set of new complete panels for sale in the for sale forum. You might want to check it out.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I ordered a set for '73-75 a while back from
    http://www.shermanparts.com/
    They are complete bedsides, inner and outer. I think they sell skin pieces for various sections of the bedside as well.