Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for 700r4 tech.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OVK5, Oct 13, 2006.

1. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

So let me start by telling you all that my K5 is a 1991 and it was my daily driver til I parked it 3 years ago after tearing up the third 10 bolt. Now I'm very close to having all the necessary parts and fab work done for it to be my *new* trail rig. Except I needed to change the output shaft on my 700r4 to be able to run the doubler. This is where I need some info/help cause one of the guys in our club took it up to a friends shop along with the Advance Adapters tail shaft I ordered to have them put the shaft in for me (bro' deal). Once in the trans. they called and told me I should rebuild it now cause the clutchs are going (burnt) and the hard face on my hard parts is worn down and blah, blah (I don't remember what else). So I agree it probably needs rebuilt, but he wants to sell me a 700 that he built for his girlfriends 1970 camaro, he said it has all the "goodies" kevlar this and 5 planatary that and its going on Craigslist for $2300.00 but he will sell it to me and put my shaft in it and drill the vent for me for a $1500.00 sounds good right? But I want to know is this the right 700 for a K5 with a 60/14 combo, 42" tsl's, and a doubler? He said he could swap the shaft on my 700 and call it a day (cheap way) but that I won't have second gear for very long:( . Any info that you guy's can offer will be mucho appreciated. Thanks, Big Rob.

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

i might be wrong but i just had my 700 rebuilt by a friend of a friend and that sounds a little steep... i just went with a stock rebuild kit, new stock TC, reman 10 vain pump, beast sun gear shell, .500 boost valve, corvette servo, and a transgo shift correction kit. all together i think i put 600 bucks into mine and that was including labor... i don't think kevlar kits are 900 bucks more but maybe i just have better friends... lol i'm sure someone else will chime in.

what i'm saying is maybe look into getting the parts yourself and having it rebuilt... or check out the ebay companies that sell 700's...

3. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

who did your rebuild? I got a friend that works at a trans shop in Hattiesburg that I take all my stuff to, even though its a long drive, I at least get to see my buddy.

4. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

Yeah no doubt about the friends comment!!...LOL I'm doing my research now,so between here and Pirate I am getting some good advice, and no one charges for that ...I hope..:D

5. mr.smartass

What shop does he work at? My guy has his own shop, to tell you the truth i don't know how he got into building them... but he has done jobs for both my buddies with k5's, met him while i was working for oreilly's.

6. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

Well, Travis my bro' from our club works for Les Schwab Tires and Vince the guy Travis took my trans. to works as a shop manager at Aamco Trans. about 30 miles from the Rubicon. I kinda know Vince but not that well but I do know from talking to him he doesn't know to much about whats best for my application. Oreilly's? I think from watching espn and speed channel I've seen the commercials...auto parts right?

7. mr.smartass

yeah i might be a bit biased but i'd rather go in an o'reilly's before autozone or advanced... they carry a bunch of great brand names like moog, national, bca, borg warner, A1 Cardone (which is all lifetime reman stuff), a huge help section, and they don't fill they're shelves with tons of neon lights and other bullsh*t, dont' get me wrong they're still a big coporation, they're just not as bad as those other guys yet. listen to me plugging my EXemployer lol, maybe just the store i worked at was great... anyways yeah we have an Aamco, i hear they do good work, but i don't think they would know much about aftermarket, but as far as large name transmission shops they're probably the best in town.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Try these guys for the price you are talking you can get a stage 2 shipped to your door and for a little more you can get a stage 3 which has "all the goodies" as you say.

clicky

Several guys on here run transmissions from these guys and have had no problems. They will also put a short shaft for a 203 if you ask them.

Ira

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The car tranny won't have the large cast aluminum inspection cover like the trucks tranny's do. This means that you won't be able to use your t-case brace anymore without fabbing something up. I would stay clear of that deal and find a reputable shop to rebuild your tranny and install the AA shaft for you or buy a tranny from www.bowtieoverdrives.com with the short shaft already installed.

10. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

He did say the tranny he has built already is a "K" case and If I'm not mistaken that means truck/stronger case right?

And yeas I definatly want to keep running the brace even though I had to modify it for the doubler.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

"K" case is 4wd IIRC

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

But the one they want to sell him is from a Camaro not his original K case. I still say call bowtieoverdrives and talk to them. Since he already has the AA shaft it will be the same prices they list on the website or maybe $100 more plus they have a warranty.

Ira

13. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

I'm def. goint to call Bowtie Overdrives but I also am waiting to talk to another club member who has been away from his shop for a week or so and will be back on Tues. Thats when I will take all the 411 I have received from everyone and figure out whats the best upgrades for me. I know the sun shell is the first upgrade.And then probably the clutch packs but I think they come in the rebuild kit...right?

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Clutches and steels usually are included in the rebuild kit but the sunshell will have to be purchased seperately. And since you are in it you should upgrade the sprag and the planetaries.

Ira

15. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

What are the sprag and planetaries? and Is there a kit with all this hardware in it? Or should I just give whoever builds it a list of what I want done? and how do I know if it a specific part was installed?

Sorry for so many ?'s

16. mr.smartass

if you just want to buy the upgrade parts yourself and have someone rebuild it, go with this site www.eatmyshift.com, it's monster transmissions but i ordered all my parts from them, and they have free shipping. got my order in like 2 days.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The sprag is nothing more than a torrington bearing. The upgrade is a 29 element sprag. More bearings=>each bearing has less load=> it last longer.

THe planetaries are what actually give you your different gear ratios. Stock 700R4 only has 4 planets in the planetaries. The upgraded set have 5 planets. Same result as the upgraded sprag. The planetaries go inside of the Sun Shell. Also I would recommend going with 8 to 9 clutches in the 3-4 clutch pack to increase holding. This is a known weak area on 700R4s.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

To get an idea of hard parts that are inside of a 700 look at this site. They have good stuff but can be kinda pricey.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net

I still feel that for what you get bowtieoverdrives.com has the best bang for your buck.

Ira

19. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

All this info...====...PRICELESS!!!! Thanks so much for the info I will get some pics up soon as this trans. gets back to me.

20. mr.smartass

just got mine installed yesterday, took me and my buddy a while because we had never done one before... lining that thing up is a pain... corvette servo is a must have though, love that shift.