Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a boat. Anyone know anything about Cobra?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    1st, sorry I haven't been on here much due to my huge work load :( .
    I still lurk now and then to see whats going on but that's about it.
    Back to the question. I've been looking at boats for a long time and although I know I want a CAT, the're are many of them out there and it's a tough call.
    I like the idea of a cabin but I hate the idea of added weight and gas.
    The more the weight, the slower the boat. How many times does anyone really use the cabin for overnight stays and if it costs you extra gas, could you just use the money saved with a lighter boat on gas to stay at a resort or hotel??
    It's nice to have good protection from the weather but if you avoid bad weather as most and have a fast boat with good radar, couldn't you just avoid the bad weather most of the time?
    I don't know if I will be able to afford it nor talk the wife into letting me get it but here is the boat I've been looking at -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

COBRA 3100 PREDATOR or this one -
    [​IMG]
    COBRA 357 SEA VIPER
    Here is their web site - http://www.cobraboats.com/
    Has anyone ever been out in one?
    Anyone heard anything about them?
    What do you think?
    These guys use them http://www.topcatmarinesecurity.com/
    Check out the videos and tell me what you think.
    I'm not intending on buying a new one but there is some used ones out there that are pretty cool.
    I'd like to be able to go see different places and do it in a fairly quick manner.
    If I'm going fishing, why not get there quick and get back in a decent time for happy hour?
    The area I'm in also has some pretty shallow areas too so draft also counts alot. This boat almost has the draft of a flats boat with speeds that would leave a normal flats boat way behind.
    I want any opinions and sugestions please.
    I'm in no hurry and can't afford to do anything for quite a while but what would you get if you had the chance and had a place on the gulf :cool1: ?

2. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

does it float?

if so it will probably do :waytogo:

3. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

One of my best friends has a Cobra that I've been on a lot but it's a high end bass boat.:eek: It doesn't look anything like that! At time he bought his cobra it was the fastest fishing boat you could get.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Haven't worked on a Cobra, but quality should be pretty obvious in fit, finish and choice of components.. Speaking of which, outboard power choice is critical...

That 35 with the trips is a pretty serious boat.. Commisioned a similar Fountain a couple weeks ago... Decent size cabin up front... And an enclosure for a center console keeps you pretty weather friendly...

Center console Cat's make for a highly functional fishing rig...

5. Storm Trooper

Wishbone, maybe you can ask your friend the next time you see him but their is a bass boat company named Cobra but I don't think this company had anything to do with them or it was a long time ago.

6. Storm Trooper

Paul, I didn't plan on three 300hp outboards as I don't think I would need to go over 100MPH.
    I figured that two 250's would be just fine, use less gas and still top out at a very respectable 75MPH.
    If I buy a used one then what I get is what I get but if I had to replace them, what would you suggest?
    I heard the 4 strokes are quiet but require a lot of maintenance + $$$$$$.
    Would the two stokes be a better choice and what brand? I like Yamaha.
    As for the cuddy, I think it's very small on this boat but if I went for a bigger cuddy it would make fishing tough, especially if you hooked a 3-4ft. Tarpon.
    For fishing, the center console would be the ticket. I would keep rain gear and goggles on the boat just in case :D

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Nice boats. For a pure go fast offshore fishing boat. The Cobra looks like an ideal machine. Cats are great fast boats. Great for fishing, they are so stable. Be sure you try before you buy. There's lotsa boats out there There are up sides and down side to a cat. Cat vs Mono is a debate I would not want to get into. But before you spend all that $. Be sure you know what you are getting into.
    But I have to admit there something very appealing to the idea of having a 100 MPH offshore fishing boat.
    I had a buddy that had a Cat/ Tunnel hull Stratos Bass Boat. It would do 100MPH. It was scary fast fishing machine. But a whole lot of fun:D

I like mono boats tho. Beings we are wishing. This one is on my wish list. I love Donzi boats.donzimarine.com
    [​IMG]

8. Storm Trooper

No doubt those are nice boats!
    I still have a problem with the drafts on them for shallow water though.
    I might be wrong but it just seems that cats cut through the water better with less pounding but I like how a deep V turns.
    I would also like to avoid a lot of roll when sitting out fishing that most V hulls tend to have.
    I will try any boat I'm considering and maybe something like the Donzi too, just to compare.
    As for the "wishing".... not. I will have one of these boats within the year,
    just wait and see. I don't bust a$$ for nothing so PLEASE don't bust mine.
    It's looking better for me because I had some people over last weekend that might want to buy my business and house at the same time.
    If that happens :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :waytogo: I'll be moving down to my place in Fl. and looking for a garage in Moab for the "Trooper". No $hit.
    Dam, I'm *uckin lucky. I never thought in a million years I'd be in a position like this :eek1:

9. ryoken

Dave, the Yami 250 2 strokes are the best ever built IMHO... If I was going 2 stroke, it'd be the way I went..

But the 4 strokes have come along way.. They do require some more maintence, but the non smoking, silent running is a big plus... :bow:

As far as Donzi's go, I'm not a huge fan... They are very high priced for what you get, like a Grady.. And sometimes their quality is lacking... I had a 30 center console with twin Optimax's on it in last week, and it was the worst I've seen of them, real rat.. Maybe that one is leaving a bad taste in my mouth... :( :doah: :haha:

10. Storm Trooper

Thanks, good to know. I realize the 4-strokes have been getting better and better. I do love the low noise and clean burn.
    Aren't they better on fuel too?
    I don't care what boat it is, if you can't afford the gas, it will just look pretty sitting at the dock.
    I don't just want to pay for the name either. I like Grady, Twin Vee and a bunch of others that seem like quality boats.
    The Pro Cats seem to be in the "Pay for the name" category.
    The thing I like about Cobra is that if the security co.'s are using them and government agencies, they must be decent.
    If the word gets out and guys start to want them, the resale should be good also.
    No one knows how long they will keep a boat and if you can't sell it, I guess it's yours for a long time.

11. ryoken

Yeah, you definitely get better fuel economy out of the 4 stroke... Also, the durabilty of the 4 stroke should be better, theoretically and from what I've seen, tho not proven long-term yet... You'll get more hrs out of em before big maintenence...

I should also point out that maintence "costs" will be about the same between the 2... Your changing oil in the 4 stroke, but your also changing plugs in the 2 stroke 3x's as much.. the 4's are a tad heavier tho...

Grady's definitely build a decent boat, they're just reminding you with the pricetag... :eek1: like a Whaler... :haha:

At the old marina, they sold twin-vee's and the Glacier Bays.. the GB's being a little higher end... pretty pricey boat... I'd be curious to see these Cobra's... I'm certainly a tough test on a boat... pretty hard to impress... :haha:

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Wasn't busting your ass. Maby I should have said Get instead of wish list:D.
    I know you are in the market for a offshore boat and are planning on getting one. Nor was I putting down Cats. I think they are excellent boats and are a great choice for a fishing machine. I have alwys thought mono hulls. But Got a chance to fish on a Power Cat a couple of summers ago and I really liked it. I have been looking at cats lately too. But want a small cabin cuz i fish the Pacific Northwest.

It kinda makes me sad to hear roykin say the quality of Donzis has gone down hill. I have heard that too. Its too bad. All the ones I have been on were great boats.

13. ryoken

yeah, don't take that the wrong way... my bud had 2 older donzi's a 19 and 21 and they where cool-arse boats...

This last one I saw was rough.. But as we all know, a boat can turn into a pile of poo quick in a hurry if not maintained...

14. Storm Trooper

I never thought you were busting my arse. I want any and all opinions.
    As for the boats being a pile or seeming to be poor quality, it seems allot of people (most) just don't take care of their stuff very well.
    I had a "76" boat that looked like new when I got it and the same when I sold it. I had it for years and sold it for more then I paid for it.
    Anything I buy will have better care then I take care of myself (maybe not a good thing?) but I do love toys and try to keep them in great shape.
    So, did you guys check out any of the videos on the Cobra?
    Not that pictures compare to being behind the wheel. Still looks hot! :weld:
    I guess it comes down to the things you think you would need, want or would like that makes it tough to come up with the right one.
    Here's my list:
    Easy on gas
    Lower weight will help that
    Ocean safe within reason (size will help on this)
    Shallow draft for the area (more cool places to go if your not 3-4' down in the water)
    Fast so one day trips don't need two days, maybe out run the weather
    As smooth of ride in common 2-4' chop
    Must have a head for the wife
    Easy fishing (center console without climbing stairs when a big fish is on)
    Cuddy would be nice but most add too much weight. Could use canvas covers to help with the elements
    Will we really sleep on a boat much?????
    Lots of storage and locks for areas that might have a bad crowd around
    Good electronics are a must
    Cooking would be good, maybe even a detachable BBQ could work.
    A flying bridge would kick butt
    Can't be wider then 16' due to access.
    Lower the cost the better but 50K might be doable.
    and the list goes on........

15. Storm Trooper

16. ryoken

Thats alot of boat for 50 g's in these parts...

Doubt it'd be nearly that beamy also...:p: :wink1: :haha:

I would think you'll be in the 30' range... Pretty roomy boats with a good amount of storage, albeit, mostly under foot.. some with small cabin/head areas built into the console that aren't a hindrance..

I just worked on a, i think, Century with a real nice layout in that format.... Lost a little front fishing floor area, but still a real functional, full walkaround.. Had a cabin that slept 2 with a hotplate and microwave, head, small sink and a small outdoor seating area right in front of the console.. it was like a larger center console assembly.. twin 225's, etc...

Century isn't known for their quality but the boat wasn't bad, other than someone sank it... :eek1: :haha: He had a nice electrical bill! Nice layout none-the-less... Maybe I can find a pic...

Thats one you can spend a ton on, electronics... Playing with that stuff way more these days... Some pretty good high tech out there..

17. Storm Trooper

Sorry, the boat I'm looking at would be about 10' beam.
    The MAX I could get to my house is 16' because of the old lock that's 17' wide. unless you had some wheels or grease :haha:
    That would be cool. I'd like to see it. I might try to do a search for one also.
    If you don't have a picture, maybe you can find a model??
    I'd like to be in the 30-35' range if possible.
    Removable cooking stuff would work too. Not always needed and I could save some weight most of the time.
    The electronics I know will cost a ton. I just see what it has when I find one.
    It will count as to how much they want for the boat of course.
    Maybe I can hook that 18' shark too. No poor fishy for me.
    I caught a bunch of them on my last trip down there and if anything, they are freakin annoying. They tear up you tackle and don't go away. Less sharks means more tuna, grouper and tarpon to me.

18. Storm Trooper

No other boat guys out there?

19. Storm Trooper

Someones had to have rode or worked on one of these????

20. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status