Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a cam for a tall deck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Apr 18, 2005.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know very little about cams and such. So I would like a little input from you guys.

I have a 427 TD, I want to upgrade the cam and intake but I don't know what to look for. The motor is mostly stock I have changed the Dist. and the carb is a holley 750 street avanger.

I would like one that has good low end TQ and HP. I the motor tops out at about 4000 RPM's

Any input will be of great help. thanks

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The problem you will find getting an intake is that your intake ports are very small ( aka - peanut ports ). This makes for some serious port velocity though which is real good for a bottom end power range motor.
    If you intend on keeping the same heads as what should have come on a TD motor get a shaft that is very mild and keep the duration ( @ .050 ) fairly low - under 220* and get as much lift as the cam manufacture allows for that shaft and keep as much cylinder pressure as possible .
    A Edlebrock Performer is a great intake but the ports will not match up to your heads that well.
    A TD motor was made to mimic a diesel engines power band so DO NOT get carried away with a big camshaft unless you intend on going with a different set of heads .
    Tom

3. RingMaster4x4

OK thanks for the info. I guess I will leave the intake alone and just look at cams.

4. big wheel bob

big wheel bob Registered Member

I used a Edelbrock performer cam, and intake on mine. Had to run some manifold spacers, ports are to big, but they are covered fine with the gaskets. Use Mr. Gasket brand gaskets to cover the ports. Only downfall, is you have to run something a msd. dist. Works great though. I have 2 of em.

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Weiand makes an intake made for peanut port heads. I got one on my 82 model 454

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

But it is not for the TD motors.
    Tom

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I run a LUNATI p/n 02-UH3-UH3-12-A01 in my dually 454 with peanut port heads. works great to 4500. This is an Ultaradyne grind Herrold brought with him. It's 217/217, .515/.515, 112 LC. If I were using a carb I'd have it ground on a 110 LC. Here is their description: "Very versatile cam, works in Camaros to Duallies! Duallie pulling a 28-ft race car trailer gets 8.5-9.5 MPG. Power idle to 5500"

I would use the stock tall deck intake, even though it's iron its got long torque building runners, It should also have the correct mounting pattern for your holley.

8. RingMaster4x4

thanks Thor. I will take a look at that.