Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a Clamp type system for top removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing?

It would make sense that you could utilize 6 large spring loaded clamps to make the top more "user friendly" when removing it, especially on the trail.

2 would be located on the roof of the cab, two on the passenger side, and two on the drivers side. I'm thinking something like 4"-6" very large, high compression spring loaded clamps.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Just think, wouldn't it be awesome to cruise out to the trail and with the help of 2 or 3 friends be able to remove the top in about 5 min's, then have it there to put it back on in case of rain, cold, etc ....??

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Just put in only six hex screws. They don't take that long to get out.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Or you could get a soft top! just think, even faster than the clamps and you only need yourself to take it off. Best of all it stores a lot easier than a hard top![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with TrustyK5, why bother with the hard top, with my luck I would leave it at the bottom of the trail and I would get 5 hours away then it would rain like crazy, also I would have to go back the same way I came, most trails don't work that way. Here is where a hardtop should be. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

And here's an even easier and cheaper way to store your top like that.

OK, don't get me wrong. You have a very viable and convenient solution for top removal, but, when I go to remove my top, I just use 3 ratcheting tie down straps. Let me explain. First of all I remove all of the bolts that are holding the top on, but you know that already, let's cut to the chase.

STEP 1: When you're ready to lift the top off, use the ratchet-straps at each back corner of the top with the hatch open through the latch hooks,(where the hatch latches closed to the top), and run them to the ceiling where you've mounted the eyebolts, or if the garage is open-raftered just loop the hook around one of the beams and back onto itself.

STEP 2: In the front, take your other ratchet-strap and loop one end to the ceiling, open your doors, and run the ratchet-strap through the front seat area and up to the ceiling with the other end.

STEP 3: Start ratcheting up the front strap enough to clear the windshield frame, then go to the back and ratchet each corner until you want to quit.

There it is, it's off. This also eliminates any height restrictions you may have about lifting it because it's solidly attached to the top by the hooks. It also eliminates any worries about snagging your back seat and bringing the top down badly. You can go down to Wal-Mart and get a set of 4-15' ratcheting tie-downs for about 20 bucks, and they are usually rated at 1500 lbs, plus you'll have one left over to hold down your cooler in the back when you go four-wheelin'!

I know that CK5 already figured out a good way to do this, but I thought I'd give you my method and see if you liked it.

HTH,

buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

That's exactly what I did, got four cam straps from Wall-Mart and did a little on each corner untill it was at the top, the reason it is on the frame is because I had made it last year and top was already sitting on it (helps against warping as well). For extra strength i put two 4x4's with exe hooks accross the rafters, that way it would distribute the load better. I plan on leaving the top with the house when I move [​IMG]. But if you put the hard top on every spring it would be easier to just lift it off of the Blazer like BUDDY said. Now go and take those tops off!!!!!

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel