Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a good .40 or .45. Gimme your input!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, May 7, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, I'm looking for a good handgun finally. I'll have about $650 max to spend once i sell my shotgun and want a handgun. This thing has to serve 3 purposes

1) target practice
    2) camping out and vehicle gun
    3) home defense

I want something that has stopping power but not as much as a .357 or .44. I shot my friend's original colt 1911 and it was SAWEET! Now, everyone makes a 1911. Is the Springfield any good? I saw the Kimber, but it's just a tad bit out of my price range.

This has to be a gun that either me or my wife can shoot (don't discount her, she's a better shot with dad's .357 Python than I am). I'm not overlooking sigs or glocks, but I have to say at this point I am partial to the 1911

Length. What length barrel would you reccomend? Being Illinois, concealed carry is not an option, but someday we'll go back to Tejas where it is.

DA VS SA...I really dont know the difference, but have probably shot both. Can someone run it down for me really fast?

We already have a good self defense shotgun for the house, so this will not be the handgun's primary purpose. But in the event, I'd like to have it ready.

The last thing is that I dont buy anything that is crap. I dont want a no name junk gun. I want something that I can be proud of and pass down to my grandkids someday.

Well start the opinions flowing!!!

Bryan

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Springfield and Para-Ordanance make just about the best 1911 style .45's out there. Sig-Sauer (sp?) arguably make the best auto loaders in any caliber, IMHO. Ruger make some pretty good auto loaders as well. For stopping power, it's hard to argue with a .45, though a .40 isn't too shabby. I prefer the "flying ashtray" of a good .45 JHP. My personal home defense/camp gun is a .357 Ruger Security Six. Just can't argue w/ a magnum. BTW, Sig-Sauer makes a .357 Sig that almost matches the true magnums performance.

John

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always liked Ruger, Colt, and S&W. Shop around, try a few, and get the one you like the best. I do like a 9mm for target practice becouse a box of 100 rounds (White box lead tips) is only $5.19 around here.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Whoa, just re-read your post and will elaborate. 1911 style pistols are considered single action, meaning they need to be cocked before a shot is fired, succesive shots will throw the slide back, cocking the hammer for the next shot. Double action means either the trigger can be pulled, or the hammer can be cocked back. There is more to it, but thats the short answer. As for barrel length, I believe the 1911's were 4 1/2 or 5 inch, my memory fails me now, but that's close. A .45 with anything less than a 4" barrel can be a bear to handle w/ a hot load. Any other questions you have, feel free to PM me, my brain hasn't started working yet this morning.

John

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Glock model 30 .45

not as much *snap* in the recoil as the .40, compact and very reliable. several thousand rounds through mine without incident /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also have the trijicon night sights on mine and love 'em /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

currently carry Remington gold-sabers 220 grain .45 +P

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

H&K 40 or 45. Or a Sig. Both are top end autoloading pistols that can be purchased for around $650. I prefer the H&K USP model it comes with a tactical acessory mount in front of the trigger guard.

-Brian

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here are my recommendations: (in no specific order)

1. Springfield 1911 with there "Loaded" package.
    2. Glock 21

8. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I own a Springfield "Loaded" M1911-A1 in .45 caliber. Parkerized version, 3 dot Novak tritium sights, 5" barrel, ambidexterous safety, etc...

I like the trigger pull on this thing, smoooooth...

Positives: Time tested design (went into service in 1911 who wouldda guessed, eh?), some modern improvements, modern assembly plants do a decent job of putting these together. I have one, have about 2000 rounds through it since I've cleaned it last (yeah not a good idea but...) and it still has no malfunctions what so ever, never fails to go bang when the trigger is pulled, etc... Another positive is parts availability... You should be able to find parts for it about anywhere, however that being said some might need to be fitted to it slightly... Able to change grip stocks, so you can get thick, thin, textured, smooth, whatever color grips you want on it to suit your needs. This gun is also among the thinnest you'll find, due to the single stack magazine, making it supposedly easier to conceal... I don't have my CCW yet so I've not spent any time figuring out how to carry it...

Negatives: Designed originally for a single stack 7 round magazine. 8 to 10 round magazines are available, but stick out a bit more from the grip (although for defense if you can't hit what you need in 7-10 rounds you're probably better off running more and shooting less anyhow)...

Had I not procured this gun I would have gone for the H&K USP .45 fullsize.

Pro's: Double stack magazine, up to 14 or 15 round capacity if you can find some pre BS magazines, feels pretty nice, controls can be operated one handed (at least by my hands),

Con's: You cannot change out grips like you can on the 1911's (same with all the "plastic"/polymer guns I've ever encountered), the H&K has bigger grip, designed for bigger paws... Have to feel it to see if it's livable for you...

9. Hossbaby50

Ok, I had to take off before I could finish so I posted what I had.

I personally am a 1911 fan. My dad has 4 including a Kimber. The Kimber is a sweet gun. You can get a Kimber (in AZ) for prices starting abour $699.

I personally would rather get the Springfield Loaded model with Night sights over a bottom end Kimber. Kimbers are great, but the night sights is were it is at for a personal defense gun.

The Springfield is a great gun and you can get it with night sights for what Kimbers start at. Night Sights will cost another $150 ontop of a Kimber price tag.

Night Sights are a must for any true personal defense gun. I had them added on to my standard carry gun because I do alot of things later in the evening. Also 98% or so of all shootings happen in low light situations. Therefore you need to be able to see your sights. Hence night sights.

As for the Glock. If you like Glocks then you might go that route. The Glock 21 is the fullsize .45 acp, and the 30 is the smaller size. Glocks are super reliable, and if you can fit them and shoot them well is always a good choice. You can get Glocks (in AZ) starting at around $459. Night Sights usually run around $100 or so to have installed. Money well spent though.

10. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Glock in a .357 sig, great round, speed of a 9mm, but the knock down of a .40 cal. To answer the next question for the non-educated, a .357 sig is a .40 cal casing necked down to a 9mm slug. I have a Glock 26 (baby Glock) in a 9mm with the Meprolight night sights. I love it, low recoil, small for concealment ( Okies can get a concealed license) and accurate. I am going to give my 26 to the wife and buy a .357 Sig soon. The other thing that is nice about Glock's is the finish, it does not take being dropped personally like blueing and stainless. Don't have to worry about rusting, about the only drawback I can think of is that Glocks will stove pipe if you don't keep a firm wrist. Limp-wristing a Glock doesn't cut it, they require the gun to not rock back in order to eject the shell casing.

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

if you are going to be home anytime soon, i have a few you can try out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Two words..... G

LOCK

Better than 50% of the nations cops approve of it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just my thoughts.

Find friends with guns and ask them to show you how it works (unload first) and go to your local gun range to find the gun that you can use safely. Try your local gun store. They will help you to chose the right Glock..........I mean gun /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Glock, 40 cal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i wub glocks too... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've owned 2 so far... prolly get the big 10mm glock someday. Something about 15 rounds of 10mm that just says "BAD A$$!!!!!". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

15. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Glock Model 22 .40 cal. Works great for me. Real easy to clean too.

16. Hossbaby50

Ya, the Glock 20 would be sweet. I would like to have one for my "mountain gun". It is like having 15 rds. of .41 magnum (ballistically equivilent to 10mm) on tap at all times. They are one hell of a woods sidearm.

Terrible Ted made them famous by shooting that boar on VH1 with one in his behind the music.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, in a Glock annual they cover a hunting trip some Glock guys took to russia... they were bagging those 500+ pound russian wild boar with the glock 10mm. Thats some serious firepower from an auto.

the .41 is a great round. AFA the power vs 10mm... I think with factory loads they are prolly pretty close, but i know my dad used to have some seriously hot loads he'd run in his .41 mag revolver (forget which model he has) and that sucker was a beast... definitely seemed (i know, not very scientific) more kick ass than a 10mm.

j

18. Hossbaby50

Ya, you can hot load a .41mag to make it better then the 10mm. But factory to factory they are very close. You have to be careful though. Most 10mm factory ammo is downloaded so it isn't as beastly as it could/should be. You have to check the factory specs to make sure you get the hot rounds and not the rounds that are more like .40cal.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Glock model 30 .45

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY what I was going to recommend. An outstanding piece. Less felt recoil than even a full size 1911, with more magazine capacity. I can't speak enough for this gun, even though I only put a few hundred round through it.

The H&K USP is what I'm going to buy on my 21st birthday though. That thing looks pretty nice too, but I've never been fortunate enough to fire it.

Just stay the hell away from a Beretta. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also agree that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon, although a good handgun wouldn't be bad either. I personally use a Remmington 870 Super Magnum and even when I am old enough to get a handgun, I will continue to use the shotgun for home defense. It's far better.

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all your opinions guys. I haven't been able to get used to a polymer gun and the weight issue. Just doesn't feel right! But there's a place out by me that has a ton of guns you can shoot by the hour, maybe I'll go spend a day and a few bucks making sure I go the right way.

I have 2 shotguns FYI. One is a belgium browning auto5 which i'm selling. The other is a remington 870 express dual purpose hunting and personal defense weapon. I leave it loaded with #4 since i live in an apt and dont want to kill the neighbors.

The handgun will be more for backup, target shooting, camping, ect...