Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a good (cheap) drill press

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by grimjaw, May 12, 2006.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a drill press. I want a floor model not a bench top this time. I do not want to spend much more than $200-250. AM I just out of luck? I tried, craigslist and ebay and there was nothing near me. So now I check the retailers. I am hoping to do better than Harbor Freight this time.

Does any one know of any deals on Drill presses?

Thanks.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good used American iron is hard to come by for a decent price unless you live in the NE or the rust belt. If you can find it, that would be the best way to go. But the larger floor model HF drill presses are quite nice for hobby use, and particularly with one of the 20% coupons, they are well within your budget. For new, that's going to be about your only choice (other than some identical units for slightly more from other sales). I've got one that I bought several years ago and I have no complaints...

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

preach it brother, its all about the HF tools! :grin: :D 20% coupons were just received in the mail too. A drill press would be on my list also... if I didn't want one of their 1/2 ton hoists for my tow rigs flatbed... :thumb:

j

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I looked at HF with a 20% coupon inhand today. I decided to not to buy one. I will bit the bullet and pony up a few more bucks. I saw a Palmgren 80154 15" Heavy Duty 12-Speed Floor Drill Press at Amazon. Its $400 -10%, with free shipping and no Tax (10% in TN). The wife said the extra money was cool. I think in the long run I will be happier with this one.