Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a GOOD Gunsmithing school...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Nov 9, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a good gunsmithing school that is not only going to teach me what I want to know, but will do it for a reasonable cost and not cause me to have to move halfway across the country for 2 years to do it. I have experience in the field already, being a former Marine Armorer, and it was by far the most rewrding job I ever had. A no stress atmosphere, doing what I love, with almost no deadline on when work has to be done. My wife is already running her own business, and it's becoming a successful one very quickly. In only 2 1/2 months, we've billed over $25,000 in services, and have been collecting just as well over the same time period from previous accounts receivables and our own billing. I won't likely be able to start in spring, more likely next fall, but I'd at least like to get my research done on the best schools around the midwest. I won't be a commuter no matter where I choose to go, but I'd at least like to come home for a few weekends a month. As far as I can tell, there is no gunsmithing school in Wisconsin, but there are plenty of jobs available here for well trained smiths.

I'd actually like to be trained in more than one smithing trade, whether it be gun and lock or gun and armor/weaponry, I'd like to expand my horizons a bit past the norm. I'm leaning towards the weaponsmithing and gunsmithing combo rather than the gun and lock combo, but if anyone has anything to say about that, please feel free to express your opinion or flame. =)

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might be able to lend to this decision.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I hear San Francisco is going to have TONS of openings soon! :haha:

Sorry, I really have nothing useful to contribute...

3. PhoenixZorn

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Might be a good start
    All I can say is I had some work done on an old Beretta (circa 50's Abercrombie and Fitch) O/U by an official Beretta shop, and it was $$$. But for that shotgun, it is deffinately worth it. That training may require going to Italy for a while, but it would be cool. Good luck.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

This is just an idea seeing how not into guns much. But go to www.primedia.com (same publisher as 4wor and fourwheeler) and at the top right there is a drop down to link to there on line magazine sites. See if you may find something there. I know there is at least 3 gun magazines of thiers. Maybe they will be an add.

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. PhoenixZorn