Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a Miller Arc Welder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cmoe, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a Miller Arc Welder to buy to use with my saddle tank mig welder (Miller). I want to build a roll cage and nurf bars for my truck. If anyone wants to sell theirs please let me now? Thanks

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Miller TIG welder last month to build my cage and bumpers, and anything else I might want. My father got pissed when I had to run a 60 amp 240V circuit for it and couldn't understand why I didn't just get one of those $200 buzzboxes from Home Depot. He doesn't know anything about welding so I didn't even try to explain it to him. Miller is definately the way to go.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Exactly how hard is welding? I know there are men who make a living welding, and that it is a valuable trade, but I am talking about welding bumpers, cages, SEAT BRACKETS, etc. Can someone with absolutely zero experience just buy a welder and dive in? I have read some books from the library about it, and I am aware of the safety issues. It just seems like more and more I need welding done, and I have no idea how much welders charge (I am guessing an arm and a leg).

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

welding is fun if you buy a welder and some metal and a book or two you can get good but if you want to do it right take a class

[​IMG]Go prepared

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I took a night class at the local BOCES for $169 and it was great. I took the intro and advanced courses, one night a week for 9 weeks each, and since then I've taught myself a lot. The most important thing is a good instructor and LOTS of practice. I've only been welding for a year and I'm already the head welder for my school's off-road race team. It's really not that hard to learn, especially MIG. Personally I prefer TIG welding because it's the most versatile and you have the most control. It takes me about 1 minute to switch my machine over from welding steel to aluminum. I love looking at all the new add-ons in the magazines and then making them myself. Swaybar disconnects cost me about $20 to make or $90 to buy. Also, when my friends ask me to weld things for them, I have them pay me with beer. I highly recommend learning to weld. Spend the money for a class, it's well worth it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have never welded before, but wanted to know how, I got a deal on a turbo 80 gasless mig welder for 125.00(I have more if interested) over the vacation I learned to weld. I repaired a friends mower deck and the battery box holder in the blazer. it is not that hard to do. And very worth the effort. Next I am going to start replacing the bad spots in the blazer and welding in the new stuff.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

7. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Hay Ray what does I have more mean I am interested?

[​IMG]Go prepared

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

it means that down the street there is a company that sells welding equipment. The one I bought for 125.00 is called the Turbo 80, If I am correct it has 2 levels 30/80. It runs off of 110v. weighs all of 10 lbs, and it a bit larger then a good sized battery. The come back from stores where they are demo'ed, mind you none got used, just to look at it. well they got some scratches and in the rare case a ding, but he gives the new one year warranty. Same one in the store was 249.00,at 125.00 I figure it is a good deal.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

that is a good deal

[​IMG]Go prepared

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Can anybody recommend a good book on welding. Also what is a good starter welder?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]