Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a new 89 TBI'd 350 engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 28, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Looking for a new 89 TBI\'d 350 engine

Lemme start off by telling everyone out here that I love coloradok5.com! I searched all day long yesterday, and didn't find anything that I liked for a decent price. So here I am to tap (hehe, I said "tap") the resources out here on CK5 yet again...

I've got an 89 3/4 ton Suburban that is in need of a new motor. Lets say for this excersize, that I have $1000 to spend. I have ALL the parts off the previously functioning 350 which has managed to sieze, probably due to lack of oil or oil pressure - which happened before I bought it. I'm looking for something with about 300-350HP, but still calm enough to work with the ECM. Truth be told I prefer Torque over HP, as this Burb is going to be my tow rig.

If you had $1000 to go buy any 350 you wanted, where would you go to find one pumping 300HP and 300ftlbs+??? Maybe you have one YOU want to sell! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I am really looking for something with some kind of warranty. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks all!

-Dan

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Re: Looking for a new 89 TBI\'d 350 engine

Go to local speed shops! Best place to find one, but that much power with a warranty is found at speed shops. The down side, I called my buddy over at Alamo Performance and he'd cut me a major deal by getting me a 383 (about 320 hp/410 lb.ft.) with a warranty for $1,200.
    A stock replacement here in town, the cheapest I found, was $635 with a 6 month warranty. You could get a $50 cam upgrade. This is the engine I ended up buying. It's bored .040 over with an Elgin cam. Desktop dyno says it makes 251 hp@ 4000 RPM and 365 lb.ft. @ 3000 RPM running on TBI stock computer. I get about 9 MPG with it, mainly because of the cam.
    That much power for that much money would be a killer deal, if you find one, let me know...
    P.S. Good luck getting money for your core, most places won't take seized up engines if the engine is too messed up. Here at the shop I got my engine, that automatically puts the engine over $1,000 because the core is worth $430 to them.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'll "unlock" it before I send it back... I'm sure it just spun a rod. They can kiss my nuts if they think they are getting $430 from me for one spun rod bearing! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can buy my complete but disassembled 350 for $300, then put whatever stuff you want into it and still come out cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's stock punch and there's nothing wrong with it. I took it apart to rebuild (for the hell of it) and put in my Toyota, but I'm going diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

But that's all hopes and dreams. I agree with 89GMC and go to a local speed shop.