Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a new cb

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by fr8train, Mar 31, 2002.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Need a model that I can get tweaked and peaked, side bands would be nice. Any suggestions.

2. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Are you looking for *just* the regular 40 CB channels or more than that? Some are convertable for "extra" channels, and although those channels aren't legal to use 1000's of people still do. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I have a Texas Ranger (RCI makes it) unit (TR966) tunes up to about 23W AM swing and a little more than that SSB. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif However since all electronics vary a little bit, how high yours can go will vary. It has provisions to add a frequency counter, SSB, and a built in SWR meter. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Need to know a little more of what you're into to tell more. Uniden sells some refurb. grants factory direct still I believe those were *great* units... Pretty reasonable in price too if I recall correctly. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a cb to get those extra channels and to use alt. for communitcation with my friends here. We occasionally fly thru side bands since they are tweaked and peaked. I had one till it completely died that was a truckers wet dream, all I know was it wa a big chrome Uniden of some sort. I have been looking at Rangers at the local shop. I would def. like more rec power but none of that "big mic." echo effect stuff. That is one eason we like the side bands when we travel. To stay out of big trucks normal scan mode. Any other reason........to say I have it I suppose. Also can you recommend any antenna for a mobile scanner?

4. The_Sandman_454

I don't have any recommendations about a mobile scanner antenna but be *very* careful in *many* places unless you hold a HAM license and file for a permit with some sort of state or local authorities you're not legally allowed to run one in a vehicle... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif It's that way in Michigan I know...

I'd not recommend converting a regular CB for extra channels if you don't have a frequency counter. They tend to go from $40 on up... Some radios have a plug you can put it in and some don't. A good tech should be able to convert it for you, assuming they know you. Most won't solicit that sort of service since it's illegal so it's good to get to know the person a bit before requesting that. And you don't want to get caught on those, although like I've been sayin' in some threads here, they don't enforce that very heavily. Still a good idea not to say *anything* on there that they can trace specifically to you... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I *have* a 2950DX it's considered a HAM radio but *can* be converted to operate on the CB frequencies and the channels above and below them. On the other hand it's not legal to use *that* on these frequencies either. Unfortunately all the fun stuff is illegal. Of course I don't run that radio to talk on, just to listen... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Gotcha. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif thanks for the help. I will go to the shop and see what I can dig up.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like my GALAXY DX-99V. It's got side band and all the extra channels, aswell as some toys.

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Sound like you got plenty of money if thats the case I got a ranger 6900fturbo that I'll let go for $400 and a ranger 2970 I'd let go for $350. I've plenty of small radios also not to many with sideband. I'm just not a big fan of it. As far as a galaxy 99 it's got what you want, but its a piece of $hit imho. Not worth the money. Another good radio to check into is Connex. They got what you want but then again it's kinda pricy..HaHa I'm a trucker and ...Uniden....wet dream... BAWhahaha. Some are pretty good but that damn piece of $hit Galaxy 99 is a truckers wet dream...dont ask me why I guess its a statis item because of there price.

Scanner antenna check into a wideband. Like a wilson, monkey made, astatic, striker.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Whats wrong with the Galaxy 99 ???? I've had mine for quite a while and really like it. I haven't had any problems with it, it's got great modulation, The recieve could stant to be turned up some, but all in all, I really like it.

9. The_Sandman_454

What's wrong with it and the other galaxies is *drift* the gradual changing in frequency as it's used/warms up, etc.

While people on AM don't care much since it's somewhat wide banded (won't notice drift nearly as much), if you use SSB, you'll find yourself constantly or nearly constantly correcting (clarifying, especially if the clarifier adjusts transmit and receive) so you're transmitting on the right frequency. Otherwise you will annoy other users like you wouldn't believe. I don't mind a little drift. My 2950dx drifts but only a couple hundred Hz and it's *very* predictable. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I use virtually all SSB, and only *very* rarely do I venture back into AM, just for traffic conditions or directions...

Plus the built in toys just are incredibly annoying, at least to me and a lot of others... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I always get annoyed when people start usin' that junk on SSB... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Hopefully nobody around here uses that stuff on the sidebands... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I use SSB quite often and haven't had that problem. Maybe I got lucky. I talk on the lower side of 38 almost every evening.

11. The_Sandman_454

Do you run any power? It's hard to get in on 38lsb, at least here anyhow... I tend to run on a few other freq's... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif .475lsb for example... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Much easier to talk skip on those... Or do you talk local when the skip dies down?

/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Seems like the few G99's I've heard have drifted... Perhaps I am just more of a complainer than some... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Not to mention the techs I've spoken to (many) have said the same...

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I do have this little box in the console. It's got the numbers 800 with a W behind it. Can't really say what it's for.

13. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I've notice the goods and bads of the Galaxy 99, but some of you guys are right about trouble with the G99s, My doc bought one brand new and pumped it up, it lasted for a year with the runnings of the sweet 16s linears, but then like the man says, it started to drift, we could recieve but couldn't call out, Doc took it out and repaired it, come to find out there was something wrong with the board, (It was not burnt) so he sold it to somebody else, he went back to the orginals and sold me a Galaxy DX 959, my girlfriend has it and it running fine for almost 3 years now
    My CB is usually a Uniden or a President Grant, but my main radio is the SuperStar Grant, to me those are the best radios, but thats just my opinion.
    Michael

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mine is almost 4 years old, no drifting problem. It's been peaked and tuned when I first got it. Maybe I got lucky with mine. I don't run the power up all the way (varitable power knob) usely 1/2 to 3/4 . I don't know if that'd make a difference.