Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a new motor in 87 Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am looking at my options for a new motor for the Jimmy, but need some more info. What are my options? GM Performance Motor or a TBI replacement? Can i put in a carbed engine? :confused: I like the 383 truck engine but what would i need to get it running in my rig. Fuel pump, distributor exc... If i get an engine where i use my stock TBI, the problem is that my TBI system is the biggest headache i have ever had. :mad:Any first person experience would help.

ps i dont think i can spend more than $4gs.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

www.350chevys.com will hook you up to anywhere in the USA... better if you live in Colorado or Arizona of course, but they will ship any motor they build for like $225 to your home or shop of choice.

I picked the Stage 1 Carburated 350 (actually a 356) and I was very pleased with the engine itself with a Quadrajet carb. Of course, my truck burned, so I won't show you current pics... but then again, if you want to see what their motors look like installed, check out my photo album. The motor I got was like $1750 plus shipping. That was a 280hp 385ft/lb block of iron that really did rock when it was running. They have a bunch of options, and even have a complete 383 with about 468hp for a mere $4500 or so... You can stay under $4000 shipped with a stage 1 or stage 2 383, or any of the 350s carbed or TBI. He'll paint the block whatever color you want, puts it together and ships it crate style.

Really the only thing I wasn't happy about with my engine was the chrome valve covers and oil pan. Make sure you get the better parts for a couple hundred more rather than worrying about whether or not your gaskets are going to leak because of the chrome. The warranty is 2 years if he assembles the motor, 1 year if he sends you a long block, and all you pay for (for warrantied work) is shipping to and from his shop in Colorado. I still need to pull the motor off the 86 and send it back to him, but money is tight right now, so it will have to wait.

All I ask of anyone who decides to buy a motor from these guys is that you ask for Stephan, and tell him I referred you to him. I'm hoping to get a deal on my post-fire rebuild. My name is Adam Jeschke... but don't spread that around. =) Good guys to deal with, though they are a bit slow... custom work takes about a month to three months, and if you pick a motor off the website, it will take about 2 weeks painted and shipped.