Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a new street car need some opinions

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by DesertDueler, Jun 3, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am a diehard Pontiac fan, but I need to get something I can go roadracing with, and a freeway cruiser. My firebird is a great 1/4 mile car, but I can only go 65 mph down the freeway, and it doesnt handle that well. I am thinking either an older Supra (the older body style not the new ones because they are still over 20K), older RX7 (But dont know anything about rotatry motors, but I do know small block chevys fit in them great), or a mid 80s Porsche 944 with a 2.4L. What do you guys think?

Dan

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Oh man, you're going to the other side?

Why not buy a 3rd gen TA or Firebird and install subframe connectors and the Edelbrock suspension package? It'll handle pretty nice then. Hell, you could buy my 84 TA from me for $1300 and I'll redo the interior for ya.

If you do decide to go the import route, the 944 is a good car. They are very cheap, too. I had a friend in high school who bought a mint one for $6000 and it was pretty quick for the price.

Just my $.02! Good luck with what you choose, bud.

3. DesertDueler

Well no offense to you, but I wont buy a 3rd gen firebird. They just have way too much plastic for me.( I had to buddies that had a 89 Camaro and a 82 Firebird). I would also like to get something that get around 20-25 mpg. I will think about your bird though. Does it have any rust? Oh, another thing is we have to emission any car that is newer than 1966 /forums/images/icons/frown.gif So the smaller cars go through easier.

Dan

4. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

How about a datsun Z car with a small block or a forced induction V6? The next car I build after I finish my Firebird will be one of these, probably with an LS-1 and a T-56. The conversion looks pretty easy, I've got the book from JTR.

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

No offense taken, I totally understand. There is no rust at all on the car. It has a notchback hatch that is kind of ugly, but it saves a lot of weight over the glass hatch. If you want to see any pictures of it, go to <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.webshots.com/user/birdman92>http://communities.webshots.com/user/birdman92</a>

Also, what about a Jaguar with a SBC in it? Go fast with luxury!

6. DesertDueler

My buddy has a 72 Z with a 350, th350 combo. Neat little car, and really fast, but too front heavy. You really have to set the motors way back to make them a good handling car, which makes them kinda a ain to work on. The farther forward the easier. My buddy put his foward and its like working on a chevelle.

7. DesertDueler

The pics didnt work for the bird. As for the Jag with a SBC, my buddy has done two of these, and I didnt really like them. THe cars iteslf are really hard to setup. Swapping the v-12 to a SBC is pretty eay if you can weld up the kit, but getting it aligned afterwards sucks. THey use special shims, and half the max load weight has to be on them, so only the dealer will align them, but when they see the 350 they dont want to touch them. I was also thinking a 90-94 Eagle Talon.

Dan

8. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what JTR says, too. Place the motor as far back as you can. But an LS1 is lighter than the older smallblocks, and a 300HP V6 would be fun, too.

Maybe you should build another first gen firebird.

A GLHS Dodge (Shelby Omni) would be a blast. Maybe a Daytona with the VNT engine in it.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that, it should be <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/Birdman92>http://community.webshots.com/user/Birdman92</a>

10. DesertDueler

I was actually looking into finding another 69 firebird to make a racecar since mine is in great shape. I wanted to fiberglass the other one and make it an all out drag car, but no luck finding on yet.

Dan

11. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Just dive in head first and get a new Z06 Corvette. My blood pressure goes up everytime I see one of them.

12. DesertDueler

I like the ZO6 vettes, but too much money and not fast enough. If I was going to spend that kind of money I would put 20,000 into my Firebird and have it run consistent mid 7s, and then buy a new F350 Powerstroke so I can tow the car to the track. Besides that, my girlfriend might be getting one by next summer, she hasnt decided between that or a 96-98 Supra /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dan

13. Buttrash

Buttrash Registered Member

Get another firebird! Or a first gen camaro. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    One to drag and one to road race.

14. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

87 Buick Regal T-Type or Grand National. They run 14's stock, and you can get them to 11's if you put in about 2,000 bux...

15. DesertDueler

Worked on too many GNs. I like the way they look, but hate them at the same time. I have helped my buddy rebuild his motor twice. To make them hold up you need an aftermarket block and heads. THe stock stuff holds up for a while, but not too long, especially in the heat here in AZ. Most things with turbos in AZ blow up. I am looking for something that is pretty reliable.

Dan

16. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I took a 87 olds cutlass and swaped in a pontiac 455 car was fun cheap( I had 2500 in it) and it even had A/C, I used it as a weekend cruiser. I had a blast in that car it wasn't fast 13.29 in the 1/4 but that was a junkyard 455. I am planning on building another car like that but I think I am going for the Monte Carlo route with a 454. Or to save weight I might run a 383. Its either that or picking up a cheap malibu and riping it to shreds. Jesse

17. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 Monte' Carlo rolling chasis set up for a v-8 that would make a nice drag car. Almost perfect body. $200.00

John

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

So your a Pontiac fan... You should build a Fiero. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Slap either a supercharged 3800 in there (250hp) or a Olds Quad 4. Light, mid-engine car with a fair ammount of hp to move it...in a plain looking car = good gas mileage and fun blowing the doors off the ricers.

http://www.americancustomeng.com/3800-V6.htm

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well DD The V-8 in just about anything is going to get you about 16mpg... Remember when you swap a motor in another vehical it's harder to pass emissions here in AZ.. The 944 are nice cars but do have some problems with the summer heat sometimes. Also they are mucho $ to repair.. Cost of parts are 4 to 6 times higher than most parts (more like yoour race part prices). Things to watch for if oyu do buy one is the Battery Box for rust thru, Timing belt age ( mine broke and it's going to cost about $1000.00 to fix. Mine is a '84. And your only going to get about 13 to 18 mpg. The early ones also have a shimer in the front end at about 70mph. If ya have any Questions about them I've had mine for about 4 years now.

20. tone91

tone91 Registered Member

If I had the money, I would get an 944 and put in a V8 conversion kit from "hybred". They make the conversion kit and a lot of other parts that you need to make it work. I was going to do that with my 924, but they stopped making that kit.