Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a roll bar or cage for a '73 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KevinsK5, Nov 5, 2005.

1. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been looking for a good roll bar or even a cage kit to put in my 73 Blazer. I'm going to be wheelin it and I don't feel safe without having some kind of bar over my head. I have seen factory rollbars in Blazers before, is this bar actually strong enough to support the weight of this truck when its upside down? I'm building this truck on a budget so I don't want to spend a ton of money. I just want a cheap but very effective bar, or a cheaper roll cage kit. Something sturdy that I know I can trust if the truck does go over. Any ideas? Thanks a lot. Kevin

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you were close, I would say come over and we will build you one. The factory rollbar is added protection. If you do a slow roll I think you would be ok. If you plan on rolling end over end, or rolling down the side of a mountain, I dont think it would do much for very long. A combination of roll/exo cage is the safest. Multiple attachment points on the frame and body, inside and out. I have not heard anything impressive about the prefab cages available. A factory bar with an "X" inside and some additional hoops and gussetts are the minimum IMO.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't know where you are at here in Colorado, but there is a 2nd gen sitting with no drivettrain here in town with what looks like a factory rollbar in it. It is painted the same as the orig color of the Blazer, so I think it is factory. This rig is sitting with a bunch of junkers over by the impound area. If you are interested, I will pursue it for you. PM me if so.

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i have a roll bar for a 73 were you at in co

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I also have a factory roll bar that will fit your 73, I'm looking to get rid of it. I live on the north east side of Denver.

6. KevinsK5

I am located in Larskpur, about 40 minutes south of Denver. Its where they have the renissance festival if you've ever heard of that.

3 on the tree, I would be interested in that 73 you know of. I need the rollbar out of it as well as a couple other misc. parts. If it is too much of a PITA to try and talk to someone about it, never mind.

oatsK5, as stated above I'm in Larkspur. I see you're in Junction, are you comin' my way any time soon?

GM man, Very interested in your roll bar as you are the closest to me. How much do you want for it? You're in Brighton correct? Thanks, Kevin

7. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

8. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Let me know what you finally decide on. I've also got a '73 w/o a rollbar and would like to add one. A month or so ago I posted regarding the OEM rollbar and most replies stated that it was more for show than protection. I believe it only mounts to the body. In that case the hardtop would protect you more. It could probably be reinforced and attached through to the frame for some added assurance.

9. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Leper can you really fab roll bars? Where abouts in Dallas are you? I have been looking for someone to show me how... :D

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It's actually my buddy that does it. I just help with the bending. We do them in Princeton. Due east on 380 past 75 about 5 miles. Click the link and click on one of the pictures for more pics.

Cages and rollbars Dallask5

11. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

I am in Arlington, 78 with no cage, what kind of cost are we looking at to build the hoop behind the seats and a second hoop at the back that ties into the front where I can still get my top on? you can email me at pandc2838@sbcglobal.net

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Are you concerned about weight? Will you want a hoop at the winshield? Do you want it all tied to the frame? Can you be without your truck for a couple weeks for it to get done? This would be a spare time kind of job, so if you are in a hurry, you may not be happy.

13. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Not concerned about too much weight, no hoop at the windshield and not tied into the frame (i know there are 2 opinions here) and yea its not a DD so a few weeks is no big deal. It would however have to be after December, End of deer season.

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

No problem, Let me know when. If you would like more examples of the work, click the link in my sig then the Gilmer tab, all the tube work on all the rigs was done by the same guy.

15. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

What kind of cost are we looking at?

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Less than $500,000.00 j/k
    It depends on what you want and the cost of steel at the time of the build. If you want a full crazy exo with bumpers and all, like mine, figure 3K. Less would cost less. Or...What do you have to trade? I seem do do as much trading as buying and selling these days.
    We will talk more when you get close to needing the work done.

17. KevinsK5

change of plans

Who do you guys think you are, hijacking my post!? :mad: Just kiddin'. Anyway, I had a change of plans. My 73 Blazer was half of a package deal, the other half was a 78 Blazer. At first I wanted to build the 73 cause I thought having a trail rig with a full removable top would be cool. Then I got to thinking that rolling it with no bar would be the last thing I ever did. From what I've heard factory roll bars are not something you can trust either. I've also been told that 76 and up Blazer cabs are pretty strong, strong enough to hold the weight of the truck if it lands upside down. Sooooo, I think I'm going to build the 78 instead. Does anyone in CO have a rear driveshaft for a mid 70's Blazer with an automatic and a 203? Can't find one in a junkyard, they're all bent from being picked up with a forklift. :doah: Thanks, Kevin

18. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one way of finding a shaft is to measeure center on the ujoints and picing one from the bone bin at least thats waht they have out here