Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for a soft top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jim82, Jun 27, 2000.

1. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

I just bought an 82 jimmy that has what looks like a factory roll bar in the back by the tailgate. I was wondering if there are any aftermarket bikini soft tops out there.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The roll bar by the tailgate is not factory. Nobody makes any sort of Bikini top for Blazers, but you might be able to find something else that you could make fit. For my'73, I used a FJ-40 Bikini top.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The roll bar was what was known as the family bar it was a factory option but I don't belive it carried over as late as 82. My guess is it was pulled from a 76-79. Some of the bars from a 73-77 can be turned around and used is a rear hoop also. It may be that it is all that GM did was use the old front hoops turned around. It was a pretty rare option. I recall seeing a picture in the photo section on this site of a truck that has the rear bar. Don't recall who's truck it was.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Try http://www.can-back.com their tops are expensive but, from what I've heard, they're worth it.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. Udy

Udy Registered Member

YOu can roll up the sides and back of the Kayline top to act as a safari bikini.

7. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

wait a sec I bought my 82 jimmy from my dad who got every possible option and he says they didn't offer a roll bar or a family bar that he remembers... which doesn't mean they didn't come one that year model. (18 years your brain kinda gets fried from exhaust fumes when the back window is down going 70.)

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

8. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

thanks for the suggestions. about that roll bar... i havent personally seen the truck up close yet because i'm stuck in OH. My Dad, bought the truck in PHX because I didn't want to mess with too much rust. Im going to phx to get it tomorrow, I've been chomping at the bit for weeks. anyways, he says that the bar looks stock or it was installed professionally, but his buddy has a 79 with a bar by the cab, and he says it is different, not just turned around. I'm kinda interested to find out if this was a factory option or not for that year.