Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for a TIG

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Nov 21, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The more and more I about it...I need to invest in a TIG /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but the thing is I don't know what to get. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif My uncle has a Miller (forget which model /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and it lay's down some nice weld's. What are you bum's with TIG's using?

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I am using a Miller Dynasty 200DX, i like it. It really depends on what you need/want to weld?

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am using a Miller Dynasty 200DX, i like it. It really depends on what you need/want to weld?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it really depends on the amount you can spend and what you routinely weld, and might get into to welding in the future. Nothing like buying a machine and then having to sell it/trade it in and getting another 6 months later.

I use an Airco shop master Dip/Stick 160 with the high freq box. Plenty of power to weld anything. Has option to weld using Mig, Arc, and Tig. They don't make this model any more, it was replaced with the Miller shop master series when Miller bought out Airco. Great multi process machines, but it doesn't do light sheet metal work very well on the Mig or Arc settings. I have a Millermatic 135 for that though.

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

To be more specific:

How thick do need to weld?
    How thin do you need to weld
    Do you need AC for alunimun?
    Do you need advanced wave form for extremly thin AL? Like welding a beer can together?
    Do you need a water cooled torch for long duration high power welds?

etc?