Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for actual size and oponions on tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, May 11, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok here is the deal. In the chat room we got into a good discussion about tires. What I am looking for is actual hight of the tire mounted on what wheel. What kind of tire, size, and a personal oponion of the tire such as how they wear and how they ride. I will start with mine.

35x14.50x15 Super Swamper SSR's about 80% tread on US Wheel White Tracker 15x10" wheels
    Actual hight at 32psi is about 33 1/2".
    They wear ok and ride great on the street. I have not really tested them offroad but on snow they were very good along with wet roads.

This is an example of what I am looking for. This might help making tire choises easier for some people like Krazie and I who are both planning to upgrade in the future.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have new 37-12.5-15 SSRs on 15x10 Eatons.At 30 psi they measure 35.75 tall.

They balance ok and run smooth .From what little playing Iv done with them they grip rocks realy well when aired down.

My one complaint about them is that there too quiet /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

And my beer is half full,not half empty /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Right now I do not have any tires on my truck so I can't be a part of this thread, but I am planning on going with 38x12.5x15 TSL's

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

33x 12.50 x15 Wall- Mart Super Sport Mud Terrains ( I was told they were made for wall- Mart by Goodyear)
    Aired up and mounted on my 8" US 37s they are 32 1/2" Tall
    So far I have been impressed with these tires. I have had them on the rocks, in the mud, and on a lot of snow and ice. They have performed better than my expectations for a cheapo tire. They hook up very well in the mud and clear easy. Love those rooster tails of mud shooting out the back /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I have yet to cut one in the rocks. They are great in the deep snow. Not a bad offroad tire for 115 bucks
    I have only had them on since last fall but they are wearing good. I have made a couple of 500 mile road trips/ daily driving . They are smooth going down the highway. They do make some noise though.
    I will probabally take them off soon and put on my 31" Ats because I tow a lot in the summer. And they look like they would wear out fast towing on the hot pavement.

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

17/40r15 Gumbo monstor mudders. @ 30 psi they come in at 38"s. only been on for a day or so but the road noise is not to bad (helps to have a 900 watt stereo) They are mounted on 15x10 rims and balanced with no problem.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

36x12.5" TSL's on 15x10 white spokes. Completely bald with 25 psi and mounted on the truck they are 34.75" tall. Add the tread depth and these would be 36.2" tall when new.

They are loud, flat spot when they're cold and tend to follow ruts in the road. Off-Road they are the best tire I've owned. They are actually pretty smooth on the freeway (once they've warmed up)

Rene

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

General Grabber MT's 35X12.5x16.5's. Mounted on stock steel 16.5x6.75" rims. Height on the truck when new with 30 psi was 34.1". These tires performed well and have at least 30,000 miles on them with approximately 50% tread left. I did find they had to be balanced more often than other tires I've had. I suspect on or more of the rims isn't 'true' though.

Overall I liked the General's...plus they were a good value.

Rene

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

TSL Radial 36x12.50x16

I measured the spare which has about 6000 miles on it.

35 1/2x12.50 with air
    I don't know what psi it is. My tire guage is messed up /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

I've really enjoyed the tires. They ride real smooth (better than a bfg), have offroaded really well everything. They're louder than a bfg mt, but they're not too loud.

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Thx for starting this one Wayne! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Here's my info:

36x12.5x16.5 TSLs (Bias Plys)
    * Bumpy ride for the first couple miles after sitting overnight
    * Great on the rocks, and even better in the mud
    * SUPER CRAPPY wear for on-road use. I have (maybe 5000 miles on the current set, and already lost 1/2 the tread on the rear set after driving to Disney and back! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif)
    * Difficult to balance at normal tire shops (at least in Chicago)

I need THE BEST mud tire out there, that is still good for street use, where snow is certainly a factor. I've heard the SX, or the TSLs... I don't know which to take... that and I need 38's or 39.5" tires. None of those "el cheapo" tires will fit for my application. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Let's see some more opinions...

-Dan

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am really interested in the 37" MT/R's to see if they are close to specified size. I am curious on them because they are a radial and they are the choise tire in the ARCA series. I am tossed between them and SX's. I am leaning toward the SX's but alot of the guys in our club say the MT/R would be a better choise for where we wheel.

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about the 37" MT/R's too, but every time I check the price on them they go up. I checked Discount tire 2 weeks ago and they were like $191 per tire and now they are like $210 per tire. Know anyone else that stocks them Wayne?

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

BTW I sent Chaz88k5 a pm since he has a set. He is out of town untill tomorrow night so hopefully he will chime in on this.

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Lets get some more. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

ok i didnt measure mine, but new 15/35*15 super swamper tsl's werent much taller than my 33*12.50 bfg muds... my bro has the 35*12.50 bfg muds and they're at least an inch taller than my 35s, ride nicer, and i'm sure they'll last longer.
    but since mine are so much wider they look much nicer and grip better off road compared to the 35*12.50 bfgs

16. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

38.5-14.50-16.5 TSL-SX mounted on 16.5x9.75 Eaton Wheels

37" tall @ 25psi mounted on the truck

Still new but if they are anything like regular TSLs ...

Wear - Poor
    Ride - Poor
    Traction - Very Good
    Sidewall Strength - Very Good

Joe
    <a target="_blank" href=http://home.attbi.com/~jmdufr/Joe/38s.jpg> 79K10 </a>

17. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

just got home...and mesured the 37" Goodyear MTR's..they are mounted on 8 inch rim with 35lbs of air..and they are at 35 1/4 inchs...i have about 3000-3500 miles on em already

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Thanks Chaz.

19. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure no one wants this type except for onroad but I have 35x14.50 R16.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Belteds mounted on 16.5x9.75 aluminum directionals. They have about 12k on them if I had to guess. WIth 32 psi they measured 34".

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Chaz, I've been wondering about those.
    Here is mine: 35x12.50-15 BFG M/Ts, 34.7" on an 8" rim, off the truck when new. They have worn evenly w/o cupping but have some chunking on the outside lugs.
    33x12.50-15 Wild Country M/Ts, 31.5" on a 7" rim, off the truck with about 70% tread.