Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for advice before I buy a used winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greyhoundjc, Apr 9, 2007.

1. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

My neighbor came across a guy that has two winches for sale that he pulled from trucks he bought at auction. A Warn 12000 and Warn 15000.

I do not know the exact model numbers of either one. He said he would take $500 for the 12k and $650 for the 15k. I have not seen these in person yet, but it is my understanding that neither come with a remote lead and on the 12k the cable looks like it needs to be replaced. Without seeing either one yet, I am inclinded to offer the guy $400 for the 12K and plan on buying synthetic winch rope down the road.

I am a complete noob when it comes to winches. Is there anything that I need to look at specificaly on these to make sure there in alright shape? What is the best way to make sure they work?

I know that there are tons of posts on here about winches, but I did not see anything in regards to checking one out before buying it used.

2. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

bring a battery w/ you and some jumper cables so you can test if it will work. if solenoids are bad or the motor is fried or the drum is rusted solid, i'd say no deal. probably be cheaper and quicker to buy a new one.

3. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

used winches= PITA new winches= happines