Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for advice on ammo can for tools

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Looks like an ammo can is a good thing to bolt to the floor to hold tools. What size should I get? Thanks in advance.

2. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Ive got 50 cal cans for tools there big enough for me to stick a big tourqe wrench in them, hammers ect. I have also seen 50 cal ammo cans turned in to small BBQ,s

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I just ordered 2 - 1 for me and 1 for him :-)

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you can find the 20MM fuse cans they're awesume for this.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a few different sizes is nice.i have a few small 50 cal cans. they are like 6ish by 10ish. nice size for electrical stuff and pliers, drill bits, and other small things.
    grant

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I LOVE the 30mm rocket canisters. They look like plastic pelican cases and are air tight and you can use them for ramps ;-) THEY ARE TOUGH. I found them at a local army surplus after a army ranger told me about them. I replaced all my 50 call metals ones with the 30mm ones. much quiter with tools moving around in them also.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i forget what kinda ammo they used to hold, but I have 2 big ammo cans bolted down in the rear of my jimmy. Check out my webshots to see 'em. They are great tool boxes. Cheap, waterproof, easy to make lockable, and steel so when I bolt them down it'd actually be somewhat hard to steal.... unlike the factory console... why did that thing even have a lock on it?! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif anyway, ammo cans rule... and if I ever roll it... it will suck... but I wont have to worry about tools flying around.

J

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Crap ! I was thimking of turning one into a small trail BBQ ! I thought I was having an original thought there !

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, ammo cans rule for 'wheelin tool boxes... they have all the features that a wheeler wants and unlike nearly everything else we want for our rigs, they are cheap! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I am gonna add a 3rd big one between my front seats for a lockable console. Gotta get the cage first tho...

J

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Here's mine: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/20946915/39567798ZAPBkY>http://community.webshots.com/photo/20946915/39567798ZAPBkY</a> I'm going to put a deck over it, Line-xed the same color as I have now. Deck will be bolted down so nothing will move and will rest on the ammo cans in the back, and will also rest on the top of the wheel wells.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks so much guys. The "pack it up" page was where I got the idea. Oh and bouncing down the trails last weekend while my tools went here, there, and everywhere (duh). I got my ammo cans ordered. Love that Herc liner sprayed on the bed. Nice idea.

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

here's some pics of a freinds M151A2 with a 20MM fuze can as a center consel. Notice the pad he had made for the top of it. Sorry those didn't work. Try this one http://community-2.webtv.net/ROAD-RAT4/M151A2MUTT/ Then look for the one on the 1st page and one on the 2nd page of the consel.

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That is really cool. I wonder where to get those? I'm using a cooler for a console right now. It has 4 cup holders on the top and I can even pack it full of ice for camping. Usually it's dry and holds my first-aid kit, mail, etc. Only drawback is if the going gets rough, it will bounce around!

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Very clever idea!

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Any big army surplus store should have them. You weld a hasp on the outside front and rear where the slots in the latches come down and they're lockable. If you weld tabs on the outside of the bottom to bolt them down and don't punch any hole in them they're air/ water tight. I've closed some of those at 7000' and driven back to sea level, the side of the cans were sucked in from the pressure change and you could hear the air rush in when you unlatched the top. I have one buried in the garage, when I get a chance I'll get it out and get the specs off it. 2 of them 1 per side behind the wheel wells would be perfect for a blazer.

17. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have the wooden case for M30 Mortar Projectiles. It fits on the floor behind the drivers seat and is flush with the rear bed floor (I have no back seat - had no use for it). It's lockable and is tough as - wood! I bought it at a yard sale for 75 cents. Really! It's still marked on top!

18. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Nice site, I'd forgotten about that one. They have a 3 tray system for 50 cal cans for nuts, bolts, etc., and they had a nato gas can that I ordered. Thanks for the info.