Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for alternative methods for actuating the clutch

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by cybrfire, Jul 28, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Putting a manual in my truck and I would like to figure out a way to use some type of linear actuator to operate the clutch rather than a pedal. You know the whole "I don't have three feet" problem. I was thinking linear acutator or hydraulic cylinder or something along those lines. Somehow operated with your fingers on the gearshift knob. Retaining the ability to slip the clutch is going to be the biggest problem that I can see. It wouldn't be hard to go all the way. Anybody have any thoughts on this or seen something already figured out?>

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why not a hand throttle and foot clutch? Seems the best option to me, much simpler than anything you are thinking. I haven't yet but plan to add a hand throttle to the K5.

3. cybrfire

Good thought and I am kind of thinking that also. However, I have yet to hang the clutch pedal so I thought I wouldn't have to hang the clutch pedal at all if I had a hand clutch.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What about using an air cylinder to actuate the clutch? I imagine there is a cylinder out there with enough travel and strength to do what you are wanting. Plus, it gives you a reason to run on board air! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think a clutch opperated by anything other then foot would be a good idea without also having the foot peddle in there.

We ran a paddle shifter in a FormulaSAE car. It had a clutchless upshift, clutched downshift, and still had a mechanical hand clutch (it was a motorcycle motor) to start and stop. The shifter setup was electrophenumatic (ran on paintball CO2 or N2). It worked well...but I wouldn't want to mess with something like that on a trail truck.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You don't need 3 feet. Heel and toe the brake/ throtle. Also you don't need the clutch pedal to start/ stop. If you're crawling put the trans in low gear with the engine off, then crank the starter. When you want to stop turn the engine off, with the clutch out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

snipage....
    [ QUOTE ]
    You don't need 3 feet. Heel and toe the brake/ throtle.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the term "Heel & Toe" misleading. Took me my formative years to figure out that maybe it's not meant literally. What I do is use the right side of the ball of my foot on the throttle and the left side of the ball of my foot on the brake. By twisting my ankle I can easily manage all 3 pedals. I know it sounds awkward, but it's really not.

I would go with a hydrualic clutch, but do not use one of the Annular type throw-out bearings. Not b/c they're a bad idea, but b/c they are rather difficult to make trail repairs on. An external slave cylinder is far easier to work on in the field.

8. cybrfire

There is a first time for everything!

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

somethings aren't done a for a reason /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif to reinvent the clutch actuation setup seems well a huge waste of time...

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Mental telepythy(sp?)!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. cybrfire

I see advantages! Maybe few and maybe not worth it to some but maybe worth it to me. Thinking outside the box is good.

12. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

13. cybrfire

Pretty much the same thing everybody is saying here but everybody assumes you must have to use hydraulic force. I'm on a different idea. You can set it up to actuate the clutch with one finger if you wish. When I get it all done I'll make up a write up on the whole thing.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cool can't wait to see what you come up with.

15. cybrfire

Well, I found some linear actuators that are set up for a variable rate. These could be used to actutate the clutch. Basically you would be operating your clutch with a potentiometer or something like that with a dial on the gearshifter or wheel. Be damn hard to get use to. I'm sure it could be setup on a pedal as well or maybe a hand grip type setup on the wheel. kinda like a motorcycle. Pretty expensive but still could be kinda cool. No linkage to worry about. Just some wiring.

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You could do it with a air ram and a "feathering" dump air toggle swith.

17. cybrfire

I thought about air as the power source however that would require an onboard air compressor which is something I would just rather avoid. Should work good for somebody though. Probably be cheaper than the linear actuator as well.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I found some linear actuators that are set up for a variable rate. These could be used to actutate the clutch. Basically you would be operating your clutch with a potentiometer or something like that with a dial on the gearshifter or wheel. Be damn hard to get use to. I'm sure it could be setup on a pedal as well or maybe a hand grip type setup on the wheel. kinda like a motorcycle. Pretty expensive but still could be kinda cool. No linkage to worry about. Just some wiring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend of mine uses one of those for the steering on his tractor puller. He's had it on there probably close to 10 years. Set it up so that you can steer remotely too. Loading it into the trail take two remotes, one to steer & one to run the winch in the trailer. It's pretty cool to watch.

19. cybrfire

that's got to be a pretty heavy duty one. Some of them you can get to fully actuate in like 30 milliseconds. I don't know how to compare that to a foot clutch but its gotta be quicker.

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought about air as the power source however that would require an onboard air compressor which is something I would just rather avoid. Should work good for somebody though. Probably be cheaper than the linear actuator as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run it off a "power tank" CO2 setup. To explain what a "feathering" air switch is it's a variable switch instead of on/ off type. Some people use them for their ram control for a dump truck. It looks like a air toggle switch, which looks like a normal toggle switch from the front. On the back it has small air fitting and used "synflex" hose the same size like what comes with a oil pressure gauge.