Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for another weird part

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by towdriver80, Apr 25, 2005.

1. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

Nothing normal ever breaks on my truck. On my th400 tranny, driver side, right before the t-case adapter, there is what looks like a freeze-plug. rusted out, and started pissing atf from the center. Anyone know if this is really just a freeze plug? If it is, what size and where I can get one? You guys are my last hope. The parts store guy just laughed. Thanks again! :grin:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

freeze plug. any tranny shop or just pop out and measure hole and go to auto shop like napa, carquest. and ask for that size plug. easy to fix.

3. towdriver80

Thank you! I was going to remove it, but wanted to be sure it was a freeze plug before i started beating on it. :grind:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Tranny shop!

It might be the cover for the Accumulator Piston he's looking for???or the govenor??(I dont recall any freeze plugs on any of my TH400's,but I never paid close attention either! :blush: )--a tranny shop will probably have it,regardless of what it is,if it is the accumulator piston cover,there is a strong spring under it,and you might need the special tool to remove and intall it..might not be easy to do at home in the driveway... :crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

good call but as he said its 4x4 and driver side. in that thay had no speedo and put plug in the place of it. but make sure its that. and i would just go to tranny shop first.

6. towdriver80

There`s no way there`s any kind of spring tension on that thing, it would have blown out by now in it`s condition. I`m going to just beat it out on my next day off. Thanks guys!

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhm speedo is in tailshaft housing in which there would not be on 4x4 tranny this is why the speedos are in the TC's

2wds run speedo, are in tailshaf housing, since 2wd use them and much longer output shaft

good luck

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Well that and the fact that the speedo would read WAY high in low range if the reading came from the trans. :cool1: