Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZBIGT, Sep 11, 2000.

1. AZBIGT

AZBIGT Newbie

I was on the list a while ago and was looking for a BLazer, well I went and bought a Wrangler instead and am not happy with it so I am selling it and buying a Blazer or Chevy truck soon.. I want from 71-83, I jsut had a few questions. What are the diff ratios for these years, are there any things I should look out for? I think I want a blazer and have a budget of about 5000. THis is my daliy driver and drive to my girlfriends (60 miles) regularly. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Tom

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well that'll learn ya for buying a J@#p instead of a K5![​IMG]
    Oh well better late than never! I think the most common ratios are as follows, earlier models (without overdrive) have fairly tall gears, 2.76's,3.08's are probably the most common. Later models with overdrive, 3.42's and 3.73's are probably the most common.

Things to look out for? RUST, RUST, RUST. Check everywhere, then check again! Floorboards, rocker panels, right in front of the rear tires (underbody) and especially the rear floor. The exterior rust is easy to see but the rest is easy to hide! I've seen pop-riveted sheet metal covered in 1/4" of undercoat with the seller claiming "Absolutely No Rust whatsoever" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mechanically; Frame cracks around steering box, hogged out rear upper shock mounts, other than that just the regular used car stuff.

$5000.00 should get you a VERY nice Blazer so be choosy, take your time and enjoy one of the best trucks ever built.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I had a budget of 5,000.00 when I got mine. I found a really nice one locally on www.autotrader.com I spent every bit of the 5 large on it, but I sold a grand cherokee to get it and don't regret it for a minute. There's no significant differences in the year models, older ones had the np205 t case, newer had np 208. You might steer clear of 700r4 transmissions built prior to 86.

"who dares wins"