Looking for Brake Drums for a '96 Sub.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by SuperG, Nov 21, 2002.

1. SuperG

SuperG Newbie

Nov 21, 2002

Hey folks! I am new to the boar, but I could not find any info on rear brake drums. My 1996 Suburban needs new brake drums.

Are these relatively easy to replace myself or should I bring it to a shop? Where should I purchase the drums?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

Oct 16, 2001
    Re: Looking for Brake Drums for a \'96 Sub.

you sure you need new drums? if you do, hit the parts store. if they look good, just buy some new shoes, and take some fine grit sandpaper and lightly go over the contact surface...then spray them with brake cleaner and reinstall them.

rear brakes are relatively easy....well, kinda. if you just need to replace the drums, then all you do is take off the tires/wheels and then pull the drums off and slide the new ones on. if you need to replace the shoes, start off by getting yourself a chilton's manual. you'll have several springs and pins to deal with that must be put back together exactly. it'll take a while if you have no book or don't take pics of the setup before you start taking things apart.