Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for carb recomendations REBUILD OR REPLACE?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mastercraftkpk, Apr 22, 2003.

1. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I am considering a carb change. Currently have a Q-jet but don't know its overall condition because I just bought my '72 last month.

It runs, but I am making plans for a complete restore and am debating rebuild or replace? I am even considering going EFI.

My goal is better gas mileage. With current LT1 engine,3:73 gears and 33" tires, I have power to spare and it will spend more time on pavement than on dirt/mud.

Thanks

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

As long as you can get a quality rebuild, you'll be better off because they will do things like checking clearances and bushings and such. If you go for a cheap rebuilt replacement carb, be aware that someone may be rebuilding them for the company on their kitchen table for $10.00 a unit and how much care are they going to put into it to make sure it is done right?

3. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I have sent two Q-Jet carbs to Jet Performance in Cali, and they calibrate your carb to your veichle's spesifications (I can't spell). Tell them what gears, tire size, engine, trans, exhaust, cam, intake, and anything else you would like to tell them and they will build your carb to RUN. I was very impressed with the work they did and highly recomend their rebuilds. The only downfall is that it cost alot to get them done by them. But they warranty their work for a year on the rebuild. The Jet carbs work awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

if you dont mind me asking... roughly how much did it cost to have them work the carbs?

Thanks
    -Ryan

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

rebuild kit - $9
    new carb - $250

i think i would do the rebuild

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well if you want a little better fuel milage then you might consider EFI. But you wont gain a whole lot unless you go with an Overdrive tranny. Those 3.73 gears aren't the best for fuel milage without overdrive.
    As for carbs I second the Q-jet from Jet carb. They work good but are a little priecy. But you will get a carb set up exactly for your engine.
    Here's Jet's linkhttp://www.jetchip.com/ Give them a call or E-mail for prices.

7. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

By the time you send your carb in UPS, they recieve it and call you with what it all needs(Thottle bushings, pull offs and what other stuff it needs). You can have them recolor the carb (which I had done to one of them) Stage two mods and rebushed the trottle shafts, It cost me about 375.00. The other carb didn't need as much and it cost about $300.00. You have to use your own justifications but in my opinion, both carbs performed awesome and was well worth it. One carb went on a 1982 K30 454 V-8 and the other on a 1973 Corvette 350 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I just got a remaned Q-jet from partsamerica a few weeks ago for $133.00 there was also a $30 core. I got tired of not finding a decent carb to rebuild. They all seemed to have something wrong with them like worn shafts or parts missing. The carb I got was for a 73 350 pickup.