Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for detailed pics of pulling 14bolt FF hubs....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 19, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Got my 14bolt tore apart and i'm trying to figure out the hubs? They are similar to the front I know. Can I use my Front Hub Socket or do I need a different one for the rear?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The socket for the rear diff is different than the front.
    There are two different hub nut setups as well.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Once the axle shaft is out, then it's just like pulling the front hubs/rotors. But just to be a PITA, GM changed the bearing nuts during the life of the 14-bolt FF. Both of mine take a spanner socket that is similar is design to the one used up front, except it has 6 points instead of 4. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've got a really cool socket that I bought off a Mac Tools truck many years ago that has both the large 6-pin (for the rear) and smaller 4-pin (for the front) in one socket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But some of the 14 bolt FF's use large hex nuts for the bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. jjlaughner

Well horseshit. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Its the 6 lug spanner looking nut. Any idea the price on one of those hub tools.

Is there anyway to get them off without the hub socket?
    I might call AutoZero and see if they have a loaner one. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

How many nuts are behind the one I can see in the end?
    What order do they go? Like outside to in, nut, washer, nut... Does any of then have the little pins like the front hubs?

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

You can also use a punch and hammer to loosen the nut, they usually arent very tight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

Thats what I'm wanting to here /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I was going to give a whirl before I bought the hub tool /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Autozone does sell the tool, not sure if they rent it or not, but it's under $20. I got mine on ebay that fits my 60 front and 14 bolt for $7.99

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I got mine at advanced for 12 buck I did the punch and hammer thing and fawked the nut up so had to get a new one if I were you I would just get the tool

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think the one I bought was a little over $20 and it's a combo D44 front/14 bolt FF rear.

The order goes nut, washer, nut. And the washer doesn't have pins like the front, but rather tangs (if that's what you want to call them) that bend over and fit in little indents of the inner nut.

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  11. jjlaughner

I've got that page bookmarked and didn't even think about checking it out

[​IMG]