Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmylake, Nov 2, 2002.

1. jimmylake

jimmylake Registered Member

hi forum,

i've got an 85 chevy s10 blazer 4x4 and need an engine. the engine is a v6. i think it is a 262, but not sure. someone said he thought it might have a 2.8l but didn't know for sure. some of you more knowledgeable blazer guys might know. it's a plain jane blazer, automatic transmision and 4x4, not much else in the way of options.

anyhow, it's knocking pretty bad. at first i thought it might be a bolt on the torque converter, but opening up the inspection cover showed nothing hitting in there. so, my options include rebuilding the bottome end (crank and bearings) or looking for another engine.

my first question, what engines, (years, models, sizes) should i look for? what is most likely the lowest cost option, (my funds are limited, but i don't want to get another knocking junker either)

any help appreciated. oh, i live in west michigan if anyone has anthing available that isn't too far away.

jim

2. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

put in a v6 4.3 motor or get a v6 marine 4.3 LX you will be very happy i put the marine 4,3 LX in my old 84 cherokee to replace the tired 2.8 it was like night and day?????????? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

If you have a 2.8l and plan on going to a 4.3 I don't think your tranny will bolt up to it. The bolt patterns for the 2.8 and 4.3 are different. I personally would do the 4.3 swap. I've had one before and loved it. Great engine for a little truck, and it'll pretty much bolt right in. Good luck.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

the 2.8 doesnt have same bolt up pattern as the 4.3 it has to be a 2.8 only other option in that year was a 4 banger... and that aint a v-6...

Plan on rebuilding it if it's over 120,000 the 2 I owned blew at 120,000 (I didnt learn the first time) and my buddy's blew at 124,000 3 weeks ago...

2.8's suck big time IMHO

-Aaron

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

well it's not much, but here's an option! i just remember seeing it before.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=116

Upgrade your tired 2.8 V6 with the bolt in HT 3.4 replacement. Designed for the S-10 ("82-"85) and Blazer, the HT 3.4 is the best thing going. This engine meets 49 states' emission standards and with 194 ft/lbs of towing torque the HT 3.4 will make your truck feel like new and pull loads better than ever.

HT 3.4L V6 Engine
    Price: $1,560.94
    Part # 12363230

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Good call /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Jim

7. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that the 262 is a 4.3! Take a look at the motor, if the cylinders are at 60 degrees then it's a 2.8. If they are 90 degrees like a 350, then it's a 4.3! You can usually find them rebuilt for about $1000 exchange. This isn't the cheapest option initially, but it will be cheaper in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif