Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for first 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by phergus_25, Jan 16, 2006.

1. phergus_25

phergus_25 Newbie

Ok first off sorry for the newb post but I'm infact just that so I guess its fitting. I'm looking for a 4x4 I could buy for around 1000, or less of corse, that I could just beat around in and do mostly mud. I like the looks of a blazer, K5 I think its called. Basicaly where should I look and what should I look for. I dont care much about anything btu the fact aht it'll go and be 4wd. I also have always driven manuals but I'm not shure if this would be good for an off roader or not. thanks guys
    -greg

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

buy all my parts sell it to ya for 4 k

3. phergus_25

phergus_25 Newbie

ha ha 4g is alittle above my budget;)

4. ProJunkRacing

that is why i am getting out of the stuff for awhile need a cheaper hobby

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Projunkracing:
    a cheaper hobby...hmmm....scrapboking maybe:haha:

phergus_25:
    I'm gonna be on the lookout for a cheap 4x4 for ya cousin.. I know of some places to look in our state :wink1:

6. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

its a fun hobby to get into....welcome to a great website

7. DieselSub

DieselSub Registered Member

Welcome!!

It seems you have the right approach - spend a little bit of money and see if you like it. Plus a budget like that will force you to get your fingers dirty and know how everything works - which comes in pretty useful when you break down on the trail which will happen.

One way to keep price down is to buy a vehicle they made millions of. Chevys are good, so are Jeep Cherokees, and Toyotas. Landcruisers, and the stereotypical Jeeps (CJs, YJs, and TJs) are popular but also more expensive.

Unless you're doing some gnarly wheeling, a winch or even a high-lift will get you out of most stucks. A high-lift costs less than 50 bucks used. So you can leave your diff's open and run crappy tires that you get second-hand.

Here's a list of things to buy:
    1) Factory service manual - expensive ($100) but it will tell you *everything* about your truck
    2) First aid kit
    3) Fire extinguisher
    4) High-lift, chain, and strap
    5) 4" Lift kit
    6) Bigger tires (33's or 35's)

Here are two good trucks:

Full size Blazer: (pre-76 if in California) These are big trucks with V-8s and reasonably strong axles. the tops come off which is cool and there are billions of parts out there and people that know how to work on them.

88 or 89 Jeep Cherokee: Again, millions of these made. Look for one with a Dana 44 rear end, a 4.0 motor, and a front axle that *does not* have a center axle disconnect.

There's a guy near me who regularly picks up 88 Cherokees for $500 (running) and throws big axles underneath (yep, chevy and ford stuff, HP Dana 44s, 14bFF and 9"), converts the front to leaf springs, and beats on em. The driveline seems to do OK (4.0 to an AX-15 to a NP231). He does do a SYE conversion.

Just some ideas. Most important is have fun. Get a rig, go play in the mud and run some trails. Find people who have done this before - they are usually very nice and like to talk about their rigs. Good stuff.

8. ProJunkRacing

cherokees are cool i like em it is just an expensive hobby got more money into that and i wanna get a truck that is small i think funnay as it is about scrapbooking is that my mom sells all that stuff lol